VCCP's Comparethemarket ads cause surge in meerkat pet requests
By Kate Nettleton, campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 05 May 2009 03:30PM
LONDON - BBC Look North has produced a news report encouraging people not to purchase meerkats as pets after the VCCP comparethemarket.com ads reportedly lead to an increased interest in the animals.
The report, by Damian O'Neil, features a meerkat breeder explaining that he had recently had a visit from a woman seeking advice on how to care for the animals after purchasing two as pets at £500 per animal.
Referencing VCCP's Russian meerkat Aleksandr Orlov as the cause for the surge in popularity of the animal, the report goes on to explain that they are not suitable as indoor pets.
A Russian voiceover explains: "I am a meerkat. Do not confuse me with a hamster. Keep me as a pet and I will destroy your home."
The video report also features a couple who describe themselves as being "addicted" to the animal after seeing the ad featuring Aleksandr.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- EXPERIENTIAL Account Director and Project Managers/Producers - £30-50k depending on experience Judi Patton £25K-£40K or freelance rates, London - all areas
- Account Director Purple Consultancy £55000 - £65000 per annum, London
- Senior Digital Planner - £34K Ultimate Asset £30000 - £34000 per annum, London
- Creative Services Director OneDog Up to £80,000 plus benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)