Volkswagen named Cannes Lions Advertiser of the Year
By Matt Williams, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 13 May 2009 01:45PM
LONDON - Volkswagen will be awarded the Advertiser of the Year prize at this summer's Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival.
The festival organisers use the award to celebrate the advertisers that distinguish themselves for their innovative marketing techniques and their willingness to encourage creativity in their agencies.
In the past year, Volkswagen campaigns have included TV ads for the Tiguan, which featured a driving instructor from the deep south of the US, whose students mysteriously have a 100 per cent pass rate, and a spot for the VW Golf VI, which featured a martial art-style fight scene taking place in a German factory.
In the UK, Volkswagen currently uses DDB London for its advertising. MediaCom handles the media account.
Volkswagen ads have won nearly 150 Cannes Lions since the advertiser picked up its first gong in 1961. Its awards roll includes two Film Grand Prix, two Press Grand Prix and a Cyber Grand Prix in 2006.
The 56th Cannes International Advertising Festival will be held between 21-27 June 2009.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- EVENT PRODUCER - AGENCY Live Recruitment Negotiable, London
- SENIOR PLANNER - AGENCY - BRISTOL - £55K Salt £55000 per annum, Bristol
- Social media manager f1 Recruitment up to £35k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Category Insights Manager Stopgap £40000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits, Buckinghamshire
- BBC social media manager calls for brands to add value
- Dave Trott: Great advertising isn't just gimmicks
- WPP launches Xaxis Audio with Global
- Manning Gottlieb OMD, MediaCom and PHD head shortlist for 2015 Thinkbox TV Planning Awards
- Publicis Chemistry's CEO Mike Welsh exits
- Judges rail against 'sexed up' work at D&AD open sessions