Murdoch names Chase Carey as News Corp number two
By Tristan O'Carroll, mediaweek.co.uk, Thursday, 04 June 2009 09:50AM
LONDON - Rupert Murdoch has appointed Chase Carey as his number two at News Corporation, in a role that will hand him oversight of the media giant's global operations.
The appointment indicates that Murdoch's son James, currently in charge of News Corp's European and Asian interests, will have to wait a little longer before taking control of the company.
The appointment of Carey as deputy chairman, president and chief operating officer marks a return to News Corporation for Carey, who spent 15 years as a senior executive at the company, before becoming chief executive of The DirecTV Group, the US satellite pay TV provider, in 2003.
Carey will replace Peter Chernin, who steps down on 1 July to pursue his own business interests.
Murdoch said: "Chase has been one of my closest advisors and friends for years and I am delighted we'll once again be working together across our businesses, as we face the challenges and great opportunities ahead."
Prior to DirecTV, Carey was co-chief operating officer of News Corporation from 1996 to 2002, as well as co-chief operating officer of the Fox Entertainment Group from 1998 until 2002.
In addition to the boards of News Corporation and Fox Entertainment Group, Carey also served on the boards of NDS, Gemstar-TV Guide, and BSkyB.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- DIGITAL PRODUCER - DIGITAL MARKETING AGENCY Live Recruitment £50000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits, London
- OOH Field Sales Business Development Manager-£65k Uncapped OTE! Ultimate Asset £25000 - £65000 per annum + Includes uncapped commission, West End
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - INTEGRATED B2B AGENCY Live Recruitment £26000 - £30000 per annum, London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER Live Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, West Midlands