Only two UK winners at inaugural PR Lions
LONDON - A paltry 431 entries to the inaugural PR Lions were "disappointing" and largely due to a lack of awareness, according to the jury chairman Lord Tim Bell.
Just 56 submissions from the UK brought only two Lions – for Weber Shandwick, with "Pigs are worth it!" for BPEX pig industry prices, and for Resonate with "Beautiful game" for Sportech’s the new football pools. Resonate is a subsidiary of Chime Communications, of which Lord Bell is the chairman.
Tourism Queensland’s "best job in the world" campaign by CumminsNitro, Brisbane scooped the Grand Prix and two other PR Lions.
The stunt to promote the remote islands of the Great Barrier Reef by offering a job, complete with villa and plunge pool, was the best idea of any "by a long way" and an almost unanimous winner, Lord Bell said.
He added: "It’s an absolutely classic campaign. A single-minded idea that’s very simple and captured the world’s attention."
Almost 35,000 people from across the world applied for the job in 60 second videos posted to the Tourism Queensland website and the campaign is claimed to have generated the equivalent coverage to $150 million in media spend.
As this is the first year of PR Lions, there is no classification into Gold, Silver and Bronze prizes.
A notable feature of these awards was the broad reach of countries which entered, the jurors noted. A total of 48, including such places as the Lebanon, submitted work. Leo Burnett Beirut picked one of the 17 PR Lions awarded for "Khede Kasra", a women empowerment program for the Hariri Foundation.
Droga5’s "The Great Schlep" for the Jewish Council for Education and Research – recent winner of a D&AD Black Pencil – also bagged a PR Lion.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Social and Content Director - Client-side! Ultimate Asset £75000 per annum + benefits, Hammersmith and Fulham
- Digital Planner - Shopper - Retail / FMCG - paying to £40k Fill Recruitment to £40k plus top benefits, including a 20% bonus opportunity, London (Greater)
- Freelance Designer Source £150 - £250 per day, London
- Planner - Shopper / Integrated agency / Recent award winner - to £50k Fill Recruitment to £50k plus superb benefits, London (Greater)
- Sales Manager - OOH/Major Event Sponsorship Ultimate Asset £30000 - £40000 per annum + Uncapped Commission, London
- The man who made Grey matter
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch
- Yorkshire Tea launches £5 million campaign
- Eric Cantona to swim Channel if Brits agree Kronenbourg 1664 is best beer
- Heineken selects Publicis Worldwide to be lead global creative agency
- Beacons installed on 500 London buses by Exterion Media