Only two UK winners at inaugural PR Lions
LONDON - A paltry 431 entries to the inaugural PR Lions were "disappointing" and largely due to a lack of awareness, according to the jury chairman Lord Tim Bell.
Just 56 submissions from the UK brought only two Lions – for Weber Shandwick, with "Pigs are worth it!" for BPEX pig industry prices, and for Resonate with "Beautiful game" for Sportech’s the new football pools. Resonate is a subsidiary of Chime Communications, of which Lord Bell is the chairman.
Tourism Queensland’s "best job in the world" campaign by CumminsNitro, Brisbane scooped the Grand Prix and two other PR Lions.
The stunt to promote the remote islands of the Great Barrier Reef by offering a job, complete with villa and plunge pool, was the best idea of any "by a long way" and an almost unanimous winner, Lord Bell said.
He added: "It’s an absolutely classic campaign. A single-minded idea that’s very simple and captured the world’s attention."
Almost 35,000 people from across the world applied for the job in 60 second videos posted to the Tourism Queensland website and the campaign is claimed to have generated the equivalent coverage to $150 million in media spend.
As this is the first year of PR Lions, there is no classification into Gold, Silver and Bronze prizes.
A notable feature of these awards was the broad reach of countries which entered, the jurors noted. A total of 48, including such places as the Lebanon, submitted work. Leo Burnett Beirut picked one of the 17 PR Lions awarded for "Khede Kasra", a women empowerment program for the Hariri Foundation.
Droga5’s "The Great Schlep" for the Jewish Council for Education and Research – recent winner of a D&AD Black Pencil – also bagged a PR Lion.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Marketing Manager Salt £30000 - £34000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Freelance Motion Graphic Designer Creative Recruitment negotiable, City of London
- Freelance Powerpoint Designer Creative Recruitment negotiable, London
- Performance Marketing Manager Salt £45000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus and Car Allowance, Uxbridge
- Anti-slavery charity creates '12 Years a Slave' tactical ad after Oscar win
- Cobra introduces bra-making brewer 'The Boss'
- Majority of 15m Twitter users in the UK follow a newspaper
- Hooch appoints More and MJ Media for Keith Lemon campaign
- Birds Eye kicks off £60m pan-Euro campaign
- Will content kill traditional ad models?