Cummins Nitro scoops Direct Grand Prix for Tourism Queensland
By Noel Bussey, campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 23 June 2009 08:20AM
CANNES - After picking up the Grand Prix in the PR Lions, the 'Best job in the world' campaign for Tourism Queensland has also scooped the honour in the Direct Lions.
The only award for the UK came in the shape of T-Mobile's 'Dance' by Saatchi & Saatchi, which picked up a gold Lion.
David Sable, the jury president and vice-chairman and chief operating officer at Wunderman, said: "The T-Mobile campaign was outstanding and had a huge commercial connection like any good direct campaign should."
He then said of the winner, which was created by Cummins Nitro in Brisbane: "It is almost the perfect direct campaign because it started with the simplest and most basic DM ad of all – a want ad. Basic best practice relationship management."
The category saw its entries down by almost 20% compared with this time last year and the jurors said that they had noticed a distinct lack of entries in flat mailers and direct response press.
Sable said he thought that this was down to agencies being almost embarrassed to put them in, in case they "look old-fashioned". Darren Kay, the joint executive creative director of TMW, said that the bread and butter media "were being replaced because everyone was intent on creating digital, digital, digital".
However, Sable pointed out that campaigns that looked to have digital bolted on, or direct added on to a digital campaign as an afterthought, were dismissed.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- TBWA\Chiat\Day scores top prize at the 2010 Andys
- Cannes Lions 2009 - Awards leaderboard
- Campaign video - Cannes Lions 2009 Media awards
- Campaign video - Bob Greenberg at Cannes Lions 2009
- Campaign video - Lord Tim Bell assesses Cannes Lions 2009 PR category entries
- Campaign video - Why were there so few UK winners in the Cannes Direct Lions?
- Traditional ad agencies take the lead in Direct Lions category
- Attendance slumps at Cannes
- DDB leads UK entries on Outdoor Lions shortlist with Harvey Nichols work
- Freelance Digital Designer - Needed Vitamin Talent £250 -300 day rate, London - Central
- Creative team (art director & copywriter) Vitamin Talent £45-55k + 23 days hol + bens , London
- Research Manager Cantello Tayler Recruitment Up to £40,000, Berkshire
- Project Manager - Central London - £35k Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £35k, Central London
- Global Marketing Operations Manager Lallemand Animal Nutrition Competitive salary including car allowance, bonus incentive and private health insurance., Cirencester, Malvern, Toulouse base.
Chronicles of Cannes – Day Three: On The Edge of The Abyss
After an intimate opening gala (nothing says fun like hanging out with 12,000 strangers) it was back to the Palais for another day filled with a mix of thought-provoking and not-so-thought-provoking talks.