Barack Obama campaign takes Integrated and Titanium Grands Prix
By Kate Nettleton, campaignlive.co.uk, Saturday, 27 June 2009 08:00PM
LONDON - In a Cannes first, the Obama for America presidential campaign, created by the Obama for America team, scooped the Grand Prix in both the Integrated and Titanium categories.
The Titanium category, which seeks to celebrate ideas that create a movement, also saw Crispin Porter & Bogusky, Bartle Bogle Hegarty New York and Droga5 scoop Titanium Lions for their Burger King, Oasis "dig out your soul" and "great schlep" campaigns respectively.
Dave Droga, the chairman of the Integrated and Titanium jury, and commenting on the decision to award the Obama campaign both prizes, said: "Part of our responsibility as jurors was to separate what fell into the Integrated and Titanium categories and we felt Obama had a valid case for being in both - we could have spent hours debating why it should win in both categories.
"We're proud of the winners and we think they demonstrate that our industry is moving forward."
The UK put in a poor performance in both Integrated and Titanium, securing just one Integrated bronze Lion for Saatchi & Saatchi's T-Mobile "dance" campaign.
The US was by far the best performing country, securing 11 out of a total 16 gongs awarded.
The two Integrated gold Lions awarded went to TBWA\Hunt\Lascaris Johannesburg for its "trillion dollar campaign" for The Zimbabwean newspaper, and Goodby Silverstein and Partners San Francisco for its "the now network" campaign for Sprint.
Mark Cridge, the founder of glue London and an Integrated and Titanium Juror, said: "There weren't many UK entries and the ones that were there, although some changed the way we do advertising, really didn't show the whole picture.
"Budgets are a massive issue. To be able to do fantastic work in all media, all integrated together and all working at that level requires a lot of cash and it's no surprise that US agencies with the budgets they have are more easily able to translate that into big successful integrated campaigns."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Account Director - Off Oxford Street Agency Fill Recruitment to £55k + great benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 p.a., London (Central), London (Greater)
- Trade Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 p.a., London (Greater)
- CRM Executive Ball & Hoolahan £30,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Age UK launches 'no friends' ads in response to Facebook campaign
- Fold7 splits with Gocompare.com amid talk of Gio Compario's return
- Pizza Hut launches Classic Crust with TV campaign
- Lurpak rolls out jazz teaser by Juan Cabral
- Kate Robertson steps down from Havas
- Ronseal claims to ditch 'does exactly what it says on the tin' strapline