Guinness launches 250th anniversary ad
By Kate Nettleton, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 01 July 2009 09:15AM
LONDON - Guinness is launching its first global advertising campaign, to celebrate its 250th anniversary.
The campaign, created by Saatchi & Saatchi and entitled "to Arthur", pays tribute to the founder of the brewery Arthur Guinness, through a global toast to the Irishman.
What begins as a toast in a traditional Irish pub stretches gradually across the world, from Japan to South America, as people overhear others raising a glass to the founder.
Breaking across the EMEA region from 1 July, the campaign comprises two versions. The first takes a humorous slant, with the toast mutating as it reaches different people, with Guinness drinkers toasting anything from "farmers" to "llamas" as the Chinese whisper effect takes hold.
The second of the spots, which will run in Africa and parts of Asia, sees everyone simply raising a toast to Arthur.
The TV campaign, directed by Antoine Bardou-Jacquet through Partizan, is supported by a consumer promotion that will encourage Guinness drinkers to celebrate "Arthur's day" on 24 September, with events being held across the globe.
A competition will also run alongside the campaign, which will offer one winner a journey into space on Virgin's Galactic flight, another a private gig from the Black Eyed Peas, while one winner will get to dive into the ocean to enjoy a pint at an underwater bar.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Consumer & Shopper Insight Controller FMCG - URGENT NEED Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £60K-£65K + Car Allowance + Bonus, North of London/Herts
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Events Manager Brompton Bicycle Competitive, London (West), London (Greater)
- Account Director Brand Recruitment £45000 per annum, Cambridge
- Facebook IQ reveals marketing to millennials is flawed
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Vizeum retains £14m AB InBev in the UK and adds European markets
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Sir Martin Sorrell labels Omnicom CFO exit 'bizarre'
- Guardian joins forces with Telegraph for media planning tool