Guinness launches 250th anniversary ad
By Kate Nettleton, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 01 July 2009 09:15AM
LONDON - Guinness is launching its first global advertising campaign, to celebrate its 250th anniversary.
The campaign, created by Saatchi & Saatchi and entitled "to Arthur", pays tribute to the founder of the brewery Arthur Guinness, through a global toast to the Irishman.
What begins as a toast in a traditional Irish pub stretches gradually across the world, from Japan to South America, as people overhear others raising a glass to the founder.
Breaking across the EMEA region from 1 July, the campaign comprises two versions. The first takes a humorous slant, with the toast mutating as it reaches different people, with Guinness drinkers toasting anything from "farmers" to "llamas" as the Chinese whisper effect takes hold.
The second of the spots, which will run in Africa and parts of Asia, sees everyone simply raising a toast to Arthur.
The TV campaign, directed by Antoine Bardou-Jacquet through Partizan, is supported by a consumer promotion that will encourage Guinness drinkers to celebrate "Arthur's day" on 24 September, with events being held across the globe.
A competition will also run alongside the campaign, which will offer one winner a journey into space on Virgin's Galactic flight, another a private gig from the Black Eyed Peas, while one winner will get to dive into the ocean to enjoy a pint at an underwater bar.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Inhouse EMEA Marketing Director - Technology Media Recruitment £100k+, London (City of), London (Greater)
- Digital Account Manager / Project Manager ADLIB £24000 - £30000 per annum, Swindon
- POWERPOINT OPERATOR 35K LONDON Creative Recruitment £25000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Account Director Major Players £42000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Product Sub Editor and Translator (German speaking) Major Players £25000 - £40000 per annum, London
- ASA receives 240 complaints about Sainsbury's Christmas ad
- Watch: The Post Office's first Christmas TV campaign in five years
- Tesco Clubcard uses Twitter to pick out Christmas gift ideas
- Samsung launches first Christmas TV campaign in the UK
- BBH London promotes Caroline Pay to deputy ECD
- O2 launches 'walk' campaign with Ed Sheeran