Guinness launches 250th anniversary ad
By Kate Nettleton, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 01 July 2009 09:15AM
LONDON - Guinness is launching its first global advertising campaign, to celebrate its 250th anniversary.
The campaign, created by Saatchi & Saatchi and entitled "to Arthur", pays tribute to the founder of the brewery Arthur Guinness, through a global toast to the Irishman.
What begins as a toast in a traditional Irish pub stretches gradually across the world, from Japan to South America, as people overhear others raising a glass to the founder.
Breaking across the EMEA region from 1 July, the campaign comprises two versions. The first takes a humorous slant, with the toast mutating as it reaches different people, with Guinness drinkers toasting anything from "farmers" to "llamas" as the Chinese whisper effect takes hold.
The second of the spots, which will run in Africa and parts of Asia, sees everyone simply raising a toast to Arthur.
The TV campaign, directed by Antoine Bardou-Jacquet through Partizan, is supported by a consumer promotion that will encourage Guinness drinkers to celebrate "Arthur's day" on 24 September, with events being held across the globe.
A competition will also run alongside the campaign, which will offer one winner a journey into space on Virgin's Galactic flight, another a private gig from the Black Eyed Peas, while one winner will get to dive into the ocean to enjoy a pint at an underwater bar.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- SINGAPORE - ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - TECH CLIENTS - TOP MEDIA AGENCY! Ultimate Asset £55000 - £75000 per annum + Bonus + benefits, Singapore
- McDonald's 10 best UK ads
- Martin Sorrell earns 780 times more than average WPP employee
- Campaign Viral Chart: Busta Rhymes features in Toyota rap ad
- 3 top tips on how to save an epic social media fail
- Magazine ABCs: a media agency viewpoint
- Lake Capital rejects demands of Engine's rebel shareholders