Guinness launches 250th anniversary ad
By Kate Nettleton, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 01 July 2009 09:15AM
LONDON - Guinness is launching its first global advertising campaign, to celebrate its 250th anniversary.
The campaign, created by Saatchi & Saatchi and entitled "to Arthur", pays tribute to the founder of the brewery Arthur Guinness, through a global toast to the Irishman.
What begins as a toast in a traditional Irish pub stretches gradually across the world, from Japan to South America, as people overhear others raising a glass to the founder.
Breaking across the EMEA region from 1 July, the campaign comprises two versions. The first takes a humorous slant, with the toast mutating as it reaches different people, with Guinness drinkers toasting anything from "farmers" to "llamas" as the Chinese whisper effect takes hold.
The second of the spots, which will run in Africa and parts of Asia, sees everyone simply raising a toast to Arthur.
The TV campaign, directed by Antoine Bardou-Jacquet through Partizan, is supported by a consumer promotion that will encourage Guinness drinkers to celebrate "Arthur's day" on 24 September, with events being held across the globe.
A competition will also run alongside the campaign, which will offer one winner a journey into space on Virgin's Galactic flight, another a private gig from the Black Eyed Peas, while one winner will get to dive into the ocean to enjoy a pint at an underwater bar.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- ACCOUNT / PROJECT DIRECTOR- AGENCY - SPANISH SPEAKER Live Recruitment Negotiable, London
- Project Manager - Programme Management Regan & Dean Recruitment Limited Ã‚£38000 - Ã‚£45000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- HR Analyst - Financial Services - 6 month initial contract Regan & Dean Recruitment Limited Ã‚£30000 - Ã‚£35000 per annum + 6 month pro rata salary , London
- Lead Project Manager - Programme Management Regan & Dean Recruitment Limited Ã‚£50000 per annum + great benefits, London
- Digital Analytics Consultant Salt Ã‚£150 - Ã‚£200 per day, City of London
- Freeview launches singing toys campaign
- In pictures: Campaign Media Awards 2014
- King backs new Candy Crush game with global ad push
- Campaign Viral Chart: Sainsbury's Christmas ad tops the table
- Sainsbury's calls £60 million media review
- Brands use social media to congratulate F1 champion Lewis Hamilton