Guinness launches 250th anniversary ad
By Kate Nettleton, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 01 July 2009 09:15AM
LONDON - Guinness is launching its first global advertising campaign, to celebrate its 250th anniversary.
The campaign, created by Saatchi & Saatchi and entitled "to Arthur", pays tribute to the founder of the brewery Arthur Guinness, through a global toast to the Irishman.
What begins as a toast in a traditional Irish pub stretches gradually across the world, from Japan to South America, as people overhear others raising a glass to the founder.
Breaking across the EMEA region from 1 July, the campaign comprises two versions. The first takes a humorous slant, with the toast mutating as it reaches different people, with Guinness drinkers toasting anything from "farmers" to "llamas" as the Chinese whisper effect takes hold.
The second of the spots, which will run in Africa and parts of Asia, sees everyone simply raising a toast to Arthur.
The TV campaign, directed by Antoine Bardou-Jacquet through Partizan, is supported by a consumer promotion that will encourage Guinness drinkers to celebrate "Arthur's day" on 24 September, with events being held across the globe.
A competition will also run alongside the campaign, which will offer one winner a journey into space on Virgin's Galactic flight, another a private gig from the Black Eyed Peas, while one winner will get to dive into the ocean to enjoy a pint at an underwater bar.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Digital Account Manager Source £150 - £180 per day, London
- Digital Project Director Twist Recruitment £55000.00 - £650000.00 per annum, Berkshire
- Pimm's launches weather activated OOH campaign
- Managing director Paul Hayes to leave News UK after 15 years
- Tango returns to advertising after two years with off-brand TV ad
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media
- Why D&AD's first Black Pencil for Radio in 32 years is significant
- Procter & Gamble YouTube video banned