Harrods riled by Dixons ad
By Joe Thomas, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 22 September 2009 09:00AM
LONDON - Harrods is threatening legal action against Dixons.co.uk for using ads that appear to mock the London department store.
Dixons.co.uk launched a campaign last week using the strapline 'dixons.co.uk - the last place you want to go'.
One ad refers to ascending 'the exotic staircase' in a Knightsbridge department store to 'let Piers in the pinstripe suit demonstrate the... latest high-definition flatscreen then go to dixons.co.uk and buy it'.
Niall O'Keeffe, UK marketing director at Dixons' owner, DSGi, said: 'This campaign says, feel free to do your research, but make Dixons.co.uk your last port of call, as here you will find all your technology needs, at low prices.'
A spokeswoman for Harrods said its legal representatives had written to Dixons.co.uk 'demanding that it substantiates the claims'.
'Despite the attempt at a sneer, they are unwittingly right about one thing, which is our service,' she added.
'The ad and [O'Keeffe's] quotes together give the implication that Harrods is overpriced,' said a senior defamation law partner. Other ads targeted Selfridges and John Lewis.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- PLANNER - INTEGRATED MARKETING AGENCY Live Recruitment Ã‚£35000 - Ã‚£50000 per annum + Excellent, London
- Senior PR & Comms Officer Stopgap Ã‚£32000 - Ã‚£34700 per annum, Reading
- Senior Account Director - brand, digital and communications - £55-65k Story Recruitment £55-65k plus bonus dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager - strategic brand consultancy - £24-28k Story Recruitment £24-28k plus bonus dep on exp, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager - Luxury Brands Story Recruitment £32-38k dependent on experience, Central London