Harrods riled by Dixons ad
By Joe Thomas, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 22 September 2009 09:00AM
LONDON - Harrods is threatening legal action against Dixons.co.uk for using ads that appear to mock the London department store.
Dixons.co.uk launched a campaign last week using the strapline 'dixons.co.uk - the last place you want to go'.
One ad refers to ascending 'the exotic staircase' in a Knightsbridge department store to 'let Piers in the pinstripe suit demonstrate the... latest high-definition flatscreen then go to dixons.co.uk and buy it'.
Niall O'Keeffe, UK marketing director at Dixons' owner, DSGi, said: 'This campaign says, feel free to do your research, but make Dixons.co.uk your last port of call, as here you will find all your technology needs, at low prices.'
A spokeswoman for Harrods said its legal representatives had written to Dixons.co.uk 'demanding that it substantiates the claims'.
'Despite the attempt at a sneer, they are unwittingly right about one thing, which is our service,' she added.
'The ad and [O'Keeffe's] quotes together give the implication that Harrods is overpriced,' said a senior defamation law partner. Other ads targeted Selfridges and John Lewis.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- PR Senior/Account Executive, B2B Tech, £22-27k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £22000 - £27000 per annum, West Central London
- Shopper Marketing and Sales Promotion Account Handlers Source £30000 - £45000 per annum, London
- The rear of the Apple Watch is more interesting than the face
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4
- Guardian launches three-tier membership scheme
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Apple unveils 'biggest advancement in the iPhone' and 'Apple Watch'