Harrods riled by Dixons ad
By Joe Thomas, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 22 September 2009 09:00AM
LONDON - Harrods is threatening legal action against Dixons.co.uk for using ads that appear to mock the London department store.
Dixons.co.uk launched a campaign last week using the strapline 'dixons.co.uk - the last place you want to go'.
One ad refers to ascending 'the exotic staircase' in a Knightsbridge department store to 'let Piers in the pinstripe suit demonstrate the... latest high-definition flatscreen then go to dixons.co.uk and buy it'.
Niall O'Keeffe, UK marketing director at Dixons' owner, DSGi, said: 'This campaign says, feel free to do your research, but make Dixons.co.uk your last port of call, as here you will find all your technology needs, at low prices.'
A spokeswoman for Harrods said its legal representatives had written to Dixons.co.uk 'demanding that it substantiates the claims'.
'Despite the attempt at a sneer, they are unwittingly right about one thing, which is our service,' she added.
'The ad and [O'Keeffe's] quotes together give the implication that Harrods is overpriced,' said a senior defamation law partner. Other ads targeted Selfridges and John Lewis.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Web Analyst Jet2.com Negotiable, Leeds
- Database Marketing Analyst Jet2.com Negotiable, Leeds
- Account Director : Theatrical & Home Entertainment brands : Integrated Agency Dylan IRO £50k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Partnerships Account Manager Aspire £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum + Excellent benefits, London
- Account Manager- International Aspire £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London