Chime tops profits growth ranking in marketing sector
By Daniel Farey-Jones, brandrepublic.com, Friday, 02 October 2009 08:00AM
LONDON - Chime Communications secured the best first-half profits growth for shareholders out of 11 UK-listed marketing services companies, with Cello and Aegis footing the table, according to figures compiled by financial research company Fintellect.
Post-tax profit attributable to ordinary shareholders rose 9%, compared with the first half of 2008, to £5.8m at the PR, advertising and sports marketing group, which owns Bell Pottinger and VCCP among others.
Bob Willott, of marketing services financial research company Fintellect, who compiled the ranking, said Chime was the only company to grow both revenues and profits. Chime's revenues rose 7.2% to £58.4m.
Employee incentive company Motivcom took second place in the profits ranking with 3% growth to £1m, but the next best performer, M&C Saatchi, suffered a 25% drop to £3.6m.
Bottom place was taken by Cello, the research, data and direct marketing group, where profits dropped 379% from £1.5m in 2008 to a £4.2m loss in 2009.
Aegis was the next worst performer, with profits down 107% from £30m to a £2.1m loss.
Willott said: "The Aegis performance was particularly disappointing as the company actually increased its revenues in the period, albeit by only 3.5%."
WPP, which accounts for a huge share of the profits made by UK-listed marketing companies, is placed in the middle due to being hit by a 48% drop from £208.2m to £108.4m.
The total of the 11 companies' profits fell 55% despite a 20% increase in revenues, which was mostly accounted for by 25% revenue growth at WPP to £3.96bn.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Marketing and Communications Manager Source £28000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Associate Planning Director Lipton Fleming £45000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Marketing Executive- Luxury Retail- to £24k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £22000 - £24000 per annum, London
- Digital Sales Manager MediaMigo Recruitment imited Up to £50k basic + comms + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Marketing Director Jarlett de Grouchy £50000.00 - £60000.00 per annum + Great benefits, London
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy
- Cannes 2015: Highlights from the Campaign beach party
- UK wins four gold Film Lions
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch