Chime tops profits growth ranking in marketing sector
By Daniel Farey-Jones, brandrepublic.com, Friday, 02 October 2009 08:00AM
LONDON - Chime Communications secured the best first-half profits growth for shareholders out of 11 UK-listed marketing services companies, with Cello and Aegis footing the table, according to figures compiled by financial research company Fintellect.
Post-tax profit attributable to ordinary shareholders rose 9%, compared with the first half of 2008, to £5.8m at the PR, advertising and sports marketing group, which owns Bell Pottinger and VCCP among others.
Bob Willott, of marketing services financial research company Fintellect, who compiled the ranking, said Chime was the only company to grow both revenues and profits. Chime's revenues rose 7.2% to £58.4m.
Employee incentive company Motivcom took second place in the profits ranking with 3% growth to £1m, but the next best performer, M&C Saatchi, suffered a 25% drop to £3.6m.
Bottom place was taken by Cello, the research, data and direct marketing group, where profits dropped 379% from £1.5m in 2008 to a £4.2m loss in 2009.
Aegis was the next worst performer, with profits down 107% from £30m to a £2.1m loss.
Willott said: "The Aegis performance was particularly disappointing as the company actually increased its revenues in the period, albeit by only 3.5%."
WPP, which accounts for a huge share of the profits made by UK-listed marketing companies, is placed in the middle due to being hit by a 48% drop from £208.2m to £108.4m.
The total of the 11 companies' profits fell 55% despite a 20% increase in revenues, which was mostly accounted for by 25% revenue growth at WPP to £3.96bn.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Marketing Manager (Mobile and Social) Creative Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Martin Sorrell earns 780 times more than average WPP employee
- 3 top tips on how to save an epic social media fail
- Lake Capital rejects demands of Engine's rebel shareholders
- Head lice-killing mousse launches in the UK with cartoon campaign
- Facebook's 'Buy' button: a leap too far?
- Beiersdorf postpones review after MAA criticisms of procedure