Government climate ad to be investigated after 350 complaints
By Anne Cassidy, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 21 October 2009 09:27AM
LONDON - The Advertising Standards Authority has launched an investigation into a Government climate change ad campaign by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO.
The ASA received 357 complaints about the ad, which is for the Department of Energy and Climate Change, from members of the public accusing it of scaremongering and being misleading.
In the £6 million campaign, "bedtime story", the Government states that scientific evidence confirms that climate chance is caused by humans.
Some of the people submitting complaints said there is no scientific evidence of climate change. Others argued that scientific opinion was divided on the cause of climate change.
The ad, by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, features a father telling his daughter a bedtime story about climate change in which cartoon rabbits are left without water and a puppy drowns.
It also drew the complaint that the ad is "inappropriate" and "scaremongering" for children.
A spokesperson for the Department of Energy and Climate Change said it stood by the message in the ad and the science it is based on.
The ASA said it would investigate the complaints and the claims made in the ad.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Account Manager - Integrated / Retail - Excellent agency - to 32k Fill Recruitment £28k - £32k, plus superb benefits and bonus opps, London (Greater)
- Account Manager - Direct Marketing [Charity] - Superb London Agency - £28k - £32k Fill Recruitment £28k - £32k, plus benefits., London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Director - INTEGRATED / Retail - £60k - £65k plus bonus. Fill Recruitment £60k - £65k plus superb benefits and bonus, London
- Business Director (CRM and Data) Direct Recruitment £75K-£85K, London (Central), London (Greater)