Sky and Viacom plot TV sales consolidation
By Anne Cassidy, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 12 November 2009 07:00AM
LONDON - Sky Media is poised to sign a deal to handle the advertising sales for MTV Networks channels.
The move would see Sky Media replace MTV’s own Viacom Brand Solutions as the sales representative for MTV’s channels in the UK, which include Comedy Central and Nickelodeon.
Sky and MTV are in advanced discussions with an agreement expected to be reached imminently.
It is understood that the move is to be part of a wider business deal between the two media groups.
The proposed deal puts the future of VBS’s 80-strong sales operation in doubt, with the future of its managing director, Nick Bampton, also unclear.
Sky Media’s managing director, Nick Milligan, is expected to run the enlarged sales operation, which, in addition to Sky channels, also oversees ad sales for other media owners including Discovery Networks and National Geographic.
With the added boost of the VBS billings, Sky Media would account for around 17 per cent of the TV ad revenue market.
The talks between Sky and MTV follow reports that Channel 4 and Sky are to merge sales teams.
An agreement has not been reached, and any deal could prompt an investigation by regulators because the operation would have more than 35 per cent of the TV sales market.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Head of External Communications Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £70,000 - £80,000 tax free, Kuwait
- Production Manager Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, Birmingham
- Content Director AF Selection £35,000 + Bonus + Benefits, Birmingham
- Advertising Operations Specialist Propel £24000 - £32000 per annum, City of London
- Campaign Viral Chart: Amazon's drones topple van Damme
- Shazam reveals most tagged ads of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014