300 jobs under review as ITV takes full control of GMTV
ITV has taken full control of the national breakfast-time Channel 3 licensee, after acquiring the remaining 25% equity stake in the GMTV business from The Walt Disney Company.
ITV has made a one-off cash payment of £18m for Disney's 25% stake in GMTV, together with a further one-off payment of £4.25m in respect of Disney's share of the forecast cash balance in the business as at the year end.
The acquisition is part of ITV's stated strategy to focus on its core activities and will allow closer integration between ITV and the breakfast service, which runs from 6am-9.25am.
The move is expected to lead to a restructure and the broadcaster is unable to rule out redundancies at a later date.
GMTV currently employs 300 people, including senior management Clive Crouch, chief operating officer, Simon Poole, sales and marketing director and Ian Williams, head of business development.
An ITV spokesman said discussions will be taking place with GMTV staff from today but stressed no decisions about the future set-up, including the possibility of redundancies, will be made until a full review had taken place.
While most UK viewers consider the third terrestrial channel to be fully owned by ITV anyway, the licence to broadcast in the early morning slot is auctioned off separately from the other Channel 3 regional licences.
John Cresswell, chief operating officer at ITV, said: "GMTV is the gateway to the ITV day and a perfect fit with ITV's existing daytime programming.
"It represents an exciting opportunity to create a highly complementary daytime schedule offering great programming from 6am to 6pm."
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Website and Ecommerce Manager Amathus Drinks £30k basic and potential O.T.E £45K , Park Royal, NW10
- Account Director - 9 month Maternity contract Gabriele Skelton £50000 per annum, Tunbridge Wells
- Innovation Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £65,000 + benefits, London
- Digital Marketing Officer AF Selection Up to £23,000, Coventry