Brand in the news: SodaStream
By Marcus Waley-Cohen, Co-founder, Firefly Tonics, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 08 December 2009 12:00AM
Is there a place for SodaStream in the crowded carbonates market?
The make-your-own fizzy-drink machine, which seemed to die a death in the early 90s, is presumably hoping that it can be the Nespresso for the soft-drink lover.
Yet where Nespresso offers you an easier way to make great coffee, SodaStream's proposition seems less clear. Its subdued UK website gives consumers five reasons to purchase: fresher taste, customisable flavours, lower sugar, environmental credentials, and a supply that never runs out.
Unfortunately, none of these stand up to much scrutiny. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find myself salivating at the prospect of designing my own cola and raspberry flavour.
I also wonder about the truth of the environmental claims, given that the machine uses a cylinder that must be exchanged regularly.
There might be a place for this in the kitchen of carbonate addicts who fear ever running out, and for families who think it's more fun for the kids to make their own, but I don't think Coke will be trembling in its boots.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Relationship Marketing/Affiliates Director Stopgap £65000 - £70000 per annum + 12 month contract, London
- Account Manager The Great & The Good £26,000 - 30,000 , South Bank
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £36,000 - 40,000 , Central London
- Email Marketing Executive JV Recruitment £18000 - £20000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent benefits and bonus, Manchester
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- Tait replaces Papworth as W&K's ECD
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'