ASA bans 'misleading' Clean and Clear skincare ad
By Alex Brownsell, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 06 January 2010 09:00AM
LONDON - The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has banned a TV ad for Johnson & Johnson's Clean and Clear skincare brand for using "misleading" shots of a model wearing make-up.
Viewers complained that the ad, for Clean and Clear's Spot Control Kit, used images unrepresentative of results that could be achieved when using the product.
The ad, by DDB London, stated: "If you have spots, you've tried everything, now try something different ... Look at the difference it made for these girls."
However, Johnson & Johnson has admitted that for the "after" shots, light powder had been applied to the actress's skin to "remove the shine from the T-zone".
The ASA ruled that "shots should have been taken under the same conditions", without the use of make-up, and therefore the ad must not appear again in its current form.
Consumers had accused the 'X Factor' judge of misleading the public because she has hair extensions, but the ASA dismissed these complaints as the ad briefly stated Cole was "styled with some natural extensions".
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior copywriter story uk limited Negotiable depending on experience, Edinburgh
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Consultant Ball & Hoolahan £44,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Planning Manager Aspire £30000 - £40000.00 per annum + Excellent, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- What the end of Page 3 means for advertising
- Notonthehighstreet sponsors London Underground 'baby on board' badge
- Havas partners with Facebook's Atlas for multi-device ad targeting
- Has JCDecaux chosen the wrong time to abandon its trade body?
- Mother backs new integrated agency The Romans
- The Sun cuts topless models on Page 3