Unilever sales suffer in Western Europe
By Daniel Farey-Jones, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Thursday, 04 February 2010 10:10AM
LONDON - Unilever has reported a 4.2% year-on-year drop in underlying sales in Western Europe to €2.86bn in its fourth quarter results, but said there has been an encouraging trend in quarterly volume growth.
The company said its Western Europe operating margin before restructuring, disposals and other one-off items was down 2.4% in the year, largely due to a substantial increase in marketing investment and the negative impact of a weaker sterling exchange rate on its UK business.
The company's global fourth quarter turnover was down 4.8% year on year to €9.66bn, though underlying sales growth (excluding the effects of acquisitions and disposals) was 1.8%.
The market segment Unilever experienced the most growth in was home care, with underlying sales up 7.1%, thanks to brands such as Surf and Comfort.
In personal care, sales grew by 5.3% and there were "encouraging early results" from the launch of its Dove for Men + Care range in Italy, France, Spain and Benelux. The company added that the US launch of Axe (known in the UK as Lynx) extension, Axe Hair, was "successful".
The ice cream and beverages division increased underlying sales by 4% but sales in the savoury, dressings and spreads division they decreased by 0.1%.
Unilever is currently reviewing its global media account, the bulk of which is held by WPP's Mindshare.
Read more on Brand Republic
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Digital Project Manager - Digital Agency £35K Source £32000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Data Analyst **Prestigious and Forward Thinking Media Agency** Lipton Fleming £30000 - £40000 per annum + fantastic benefits, London
- Marketing Manager Stopgap £45000 - £60000 per annum, ShÃ nghÇŽi
- Global Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £65,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
Agency: Wieden & Kennedy New York
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- McDonald's launches 40th anniversary campaign
- TalkTalk to launch user-generated X Factor idents
- Watch Harvey Keitel's Wolf bark again in new Direct Line ads
- Celebrity Cruises opts for Goodstuff