Top 50 media agencies 2009
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 27 February 2009 12:00AM
When recession strikes, creative agencies would be expected to suffer first as new projects are deferred or abandoned.
Media spend will have a momentum of its own for a short while - relying if necessary on old campaigns - but budget cuts will not be avoided forever.
This delayed response may help to explain why media billings fell by a smaller percentage than creative billings last year. But fall they did, contrary to predictions.
In the circumstances, Aegis' agencies Carat and Vizeum must be feeling very pleased with themselves as aggregate billings climbed by nearly 8 per cent. MPG did even better with a 16.7 per cent increase.
As the economic climate worsens, clients are likely to place more emphasis on short-term, measurable and actionable response campaigns, directing more of their diminished budget towards direct marketing and digital channels.
To add insult to injury, the virtually invisible rate of bank interest that can currently be earned on cash balances will remove a traditional boost to media agencies' profits.
How holding companies are measuring up
Share of media:
|Rank 2008||Rank 2007||Holding company||Billings 2008 (£m)||Billings 2007 (£m)||% change|
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Group Insight Director, Technology & Financial Jarlett de Grouchy £65000.00 - £80000.00 per annum + bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Sales Executive - Performance & Brand - Emerging Tech Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Strategist Zebra People £300 - £400 per day, London (East), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account