Top 50 media agencies 2009
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 27 February 2009 12:00AM
When recession strikes, creative agencies would be expected to suffer first as new projects are deferred or abandoned.
Media spend will have a momentum of its own for a short while - relying if necessary on old campaigns - but budget cuts will not be avoided forever.
This delayed response may help to explain why media billings fell by a smaller percentage than creative billings last year. But fall they did, contrary to predictions.
In the circumstances, Aegis' agencies Carat and Vizeum must be feeling very pleased with themselves as aggregate billings climbed by nearly 8 per cent. MPG did even better with a 16.7 per cent increase.
As the economic climate worsens, clients are likely to place more emphasis on short-term, measurable and actionable response campaigns, directing more of their diminished budget towards direct marketing and digital channels.
To add insult to injury, the virtually invisible rate of bank interest that can currently be earned on cash balances will remove a traditional boost to media agencies' profits.
How holding companies are measuring up
Share of media:
|Rank 2008||Rank 2007||Holding company||Billings 2008 (£m)||Billings 2007 (£m)||% change|
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Account Manager - B2B and B2C integrated and digital comms JEFFERSON £30,000 - 40,000 plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- CREATIVE MANAGER 35-45k London Creative Recruitment Ã‚£35000 - Ã‚£45000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Account Manager - Mobile Loyalty Digital Gurus £25000 - £37000 Per Annum, London
- UI Designer - Unrestricted Creative, Prototyping and Innovation ADLIB Upto £25k DOE, Bristol
- Senior Account Manager / Account Director - Luxury Property Gemini Search Ã‚£35000 - Ã‚£45000 per annum, City of London
- 7Up kicks off global campaign with urban knitting ad
- Sainsbury's calls £60 million media review
- Brands use social media to congratulate F1 champion Lewis Hamilton
- VisitBritain crowdsources digital marketing campaign
- Zurich launches snowmen cinema campaign across Europe
- Cheil Worldwide buys Iris stake