Comparethemarket prepares to launch meerkat merchandise
By Joe Thomas, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Monday, 29 March 2010 09:30AM
LONDON - Comparethemarket.com parent company BGL looks set to expand its meerkat branding with the introduction of a range of branded merchandise including toiletries later this year.
The company has filed several trademark applications under its comparethemeerkat branding, fronted by its fictional CGI anthropomorphic character Aleksandr Orlov, from the website's ad campaigns.
The applications include cosmetics, toiletries, video games, stationery, bags and wallets, household utensils, bed linen, toys, and even a smoking jacket.
The activity suggests the comparison website is preparing to extend its meerkat strategy into a range of merchandise. It follows the introduction of the meerkat doll, made available in Harrods before Christmas 2009.
The financial services company rolled out 5,000 dolls of Aleksandr Orlov for sale in the Knightsbridge department store.
Marketing was awaiting a response from BGL at time of publication.
The star of VCCP's Comparethemarket.com campaign was first unveiled at the beginning on 2009.
The company has gone on to produce podcasts featuring Orlov and David Hasselhoff, as well as a free iPhone app allowing people to play with his phrases, which launched earlier this month.
The ‘iSimples' app, created by VCCP, allows users to make Aleksandr say a selection of well-known and new phrases, such as 'Will you marry me?' and 'Your whiskers are beautiful!'
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- DIGITAL ACCOUNT MANAGER / £35K + Benefits Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum, City of London
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show