Comparethemarket prepares to launch meerkat merchandise
By Joe Thomas, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Monday, 29 March 2010 09:30AM
LONDON - Comparethemarket.com parent company BGL looks set to expand its meerkat branding with the introduction of a range of branded merchandise including toiletries later this year.
The company has filed several trademark applications under its comparethemeerkat branding, fronted by its fictional CGI anthropomorphic character Aleksandr Orlov, from the website's ad campaigns.
The applications include cosmetics, toiletries, video games, stationery, bags and wallets, household utensils, bed linen, toys, and even a smoking jacket.
The activity suggests the comparison website is preparing to extend its meerkat strategy into a range of merchandise. It follows the introduction of the meerkat doll, made available in Harrods before Christmas 2009.
The financial services company rolled out 5,000 dolls of Aleksandr Orlov for sale in the Knightsbridge department store.
Marketing was awaiting a response from BGL at time of publication.
The star of VCCP's Comparethemarket.com campaign was first unveiled at the beginning on 2009.
The company has gone on to produce podcasts featuring Orlov and David Hasselhoff, as well as a free iPhone app allowing people to play with his phrases, which launched earlier this month.
The ‘iSimples' app, created by VCCP, allows users to make Aleksandr say a selection of well-known and new phrases, such as 'Will you marry me?' and 'Your whiskers are beautiful!'
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Digital Project Manager (senior) Corporate Communications Recruitment circa £55k, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Consultant Corporate Communications Recruitment £70-£80k base plus bonus and package, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director (Corporate Communications) Corporate Communications Recruitment circa £80k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Corporate Reporting Consultant/IR Corporate Communications Recruitment £50-£80k plus bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager Corporate Communications Recruitment £30-£40k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham