Delia Smith's Waitrose promotion boosts rhubarb sales in Tesco
By Joe Thomas, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Wednesday, 31 March 2010 03:34PM
LONDON - Tesco has reported its sales of rhubarb have doubled in the last week following a multi-million pound marketing campaign featuring cook Delia Smith and chef Heston Blumenthal.
The UK's largest supermarket issued a statement today (31 March) thanking rival Waitrose and its "advertising gurus" for a welcome increase in demand for rhubarb.
Last week Waitrose unveiled its multi-million pound marketing campaign, created by MCBD, with an ad that that took up an entire ad break, starring the two celebrities cooking.
In the ad Smith demonstrates how to cook a rhubarb crumble using produce that is on sale at half price in Waitrose.
David Croxson, rhubarb buyer for Tesco, said: "We'd like to thank Waitrose for boosting our sales. We're delighted that so many people have chosen to take advantage of the great quality rhubarb available at our stores."
A spokesman for Waitrose said: "The Delia effect is as powerful as ever – we sold 14 weeks worth of rhubarb in the four days after the ad's first airing. We're sure that rhubarb growers everywhere will be very pleased and we're delighted that we are getting the nation cooking."
The campaign will continue with a weekly series of TV advertisements over the coming months, all featuring a new recipe. Each one will be backed up with press ads, recipe details online, in-store and in the new free guide to the weekend weekly publication, Waitrose Weekend.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £80,000 per annum + Car or c/a, South East England
- Marketing Executive Ball & Hoolahan £30,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 + c/a, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 + c/a, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Qual Research Executive Ball & Hoolahan £30,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Virgin Media 'night owl' ad to break in Gogglebox
- Johnnie Walker calls global ad review
- Adam & Eve/DDB wins 2014 IPA Effectiveness Awards Grand Prix
- Testicular cancer awareness campaign launches comedy show
- Enjoyed getting an hour back on Sunday? You'll get years back if you stop smoking, says charity
- Tiffany & Co hires MEC for $100m global media