Travelodge ramps up marketing with cuddly toy TV ads
By John Reynolds and Daniel Farey-Jones, campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 27 April 2010 01:40PM
LONDON - Travelodge, the budget hotel chain, is returning to the nation's TV screens after a 20-year gap with a £10m advertising campaign created by new agency Mother.
The television ads, which debut this Saturday (1 May) at the end of 'Britain's Got Talent', will look to differentiate Travelodge from its arch rival, Premier Inn.
The 'Sleep Tight' ads focus on the brand's delivery of a good night's sleep at a budget price.
While Premier Inn uses celebrity Lenny Henry, the Travelodge ads will be fronted by cuddly toys and will consciously target children.
The ads, which will also run in print, feature Mr Sleep, a cuddly dog called Jon, and three other teddy bears.
Mother has emerged as the winner of a recent pitch for Travelodge's advertising business, which was also contested by incumbent Doner Cardwell Hawkins, M&C Saatchi, Krow and Rapier.
Earlier this year, Travelodge, which is owned by Dubai International Capital, shifted its media planning and buying account out of WPP's Mediaedge:cia and into Aegis-owned Carat, without a pitch.
It appointed Rapier to its digital account at the beginning of January.
Travelodge has around 390 hotels in the UK and Ireland, while Premier Inn owns 580.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Freelance POS/FSDU Creatives... become Competitive rates, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Brand Recruitment £50000 per annum + bonus/benefits, Milton Keynes
- Five black Pencils awarded at D&AD 2015
- Diageo and BBH end 15-year relationship
- Networking is never easier than in the queue for the toilet
- Campaign Viral Chart: True Detective trailer in number one spot
- Is The Net Set a welcome addition?
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media