Morrisons avoids 'perfect' Christmas cliché with surreal ad
By Matthew Chapman, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 12 November 2012 09:10AM
Morrisons is avoiding using the cliché of the "picture-perfect day" for its Christmas campaign, with a surreal TV ad dramatising a mum's hard work including eye-catching scenes such as wrestling a turkey.
The ad is a departure from the brand’s previous celebrity led-creative and aims to show the story of a family Christmas unfolding.
DLKW Lowe created the ad that features surreal scenes including the mum, played by 'This is England' actress Jo Hartley, wrestling a turkey.
Music for the campaign was created by Oscar-nominated American movie composer John Debney, who was nominated for his 'The Passion of The Christ' score.
The 60-second spot is being supported by shortened 20-second executions shot with the same cast and in the same style, and focusing on the expertise of its in-store specialists.
Facebook activity includes a competition called Crimes Against Christmas, which invites users to share images embarrassing images from past Christmases, including dodgy jumpers and food disasters.
Former commercial director Richard Hodgson, whose departure from the company was revealed last week, described the new creative direction as an attempt to demonstrate that "we understand our customers and resonate with the challenges they face in the run-up to Christmas".
The 60-second TV spot launched yesterday (11 November) during 'The X Factor' results show.
MEC handled the media planning and buying, while the production company was Academy.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Account Director - Freelance Role, £300 a day. DRTV / TV ATL role MODA consult £300 per day, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Director / Group Account Director - Maternity Cover Integrated Role MODA consult £60k - £65k pro rata salary, Central London - Great Soho Location
- Senior Account Manager / Junior Account Director - Maternity Cover ATL / TV Role MODA consult £42k - £45k pro rata salary, Central London - Great Soho Location