Client confidence up, Bellwether says
By Ian Darby, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 17 January 2013 08:00AM
Marketing budgets rose by just over 1 per cent during the final quarter of 2012, reflecting a small increase in optimism among clients, according to the latest IPA Bellwether Report.
With 17 per cent of clients reporting an increase in total spend compared with 16 per cent reporting cuts, the net balance was 1.1 per cent – the highest figure since the third quarter of 2013.
This small increase compares with a 5.5 per cent decline in the third quarter of 2012 and a 0.6 per cent rise during quarter four in 2011.
Internet spend, in common with recent Bellwether surveys, rose significantly while spend on main media channels was flat. Budgets in direct marketing and sales promotion continued to be cut.
Companies were more positive about their own performance, yet marketers were downbeat about the financial prospects for their wider industries, with a net balance of 16.9 per cent pessimistic, compared with 16.5 per cent in the third quarter.
More positively, adspend growth is expected to accelerate to a 4.6 per cent rise in 2017.
Nicola Mendelsohn, the IPA president, said: "Advertisers have a growing sense of cautious optimism about their own financial prospects."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Group Account Director Link Communication £40,000 basic as of 1st Aug 2015 (Flexible, according to experience), Leeds, West Yorkshire
- Digital Sales Manager MediaMigo Recruitment imited Up to £50k basic + comms + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Director MediaMigo Recruitment imited £50-60k dep on experience + benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Upper Midweight Designer Source £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Bid Manager EMR | Specialist Marketing Recruitment £35000 - £50000 per annum, Birmingham
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy
- Cannes 2015: Highlights from the Campaign beach party
- UK wins four gold Film Lions
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch