Keira Knightley 'sexually suggestive' Chanel ad banned
A Chanel TV ad starring Keira Knightley has been banned from kids' TV for being too sexual and unsuitable for young children.
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) received a complaint about a TV ad for the perfume Coco Mademoiselle, which was shown before the 20th Century Fox film ‘Ice Age 2’.
The ad, which was made by Chanel’s in-house team, showed the actress being photographed on a bed. The photographer then unzipped her clothes before she undressed herself, exposing her back.
Wrapped in a bed sheet, she crawled towards the photographer and then leant back, after which he leaned in to kiss her. She then put a finger to her lips and said: "Lock the door".
Although the ASA acknowledged that the undressing in the ad took place in the context of a photo shoot, it ruled that the scenes involved "sexually suggestive" content.
As the photographer was directly involved in unzipping the actress's garments and it was suggested she was naked aside from a bed sheet, the ASA found there was "clear sexual tension" between the pair.
The ASA ruled the ad was suitable for older children but that the sexually suggestive material was unsuitable for young children, and so the ad was "inappropriately scheduled" alongside a film with particular appeal to children.
The watchdog ruled that the ad should have an "ex-kids" restriction in future and not be broadcast in its current form in or around programmes with a particular appeal to children.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- PR ACCOUNT MANAGER - INTEGRATED AGENCY Live Recruitment £28000 - £32000 per annum, City of London
- Senior Designer - World Renowned Branding Agency (London) Twist Recruitment £35000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + BENEFITS AND BONUS SCHEME, East London
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4
- FT to reveal first design overhaul in seven years
- David Hasselhoff to join Sorrell, Naughton and Shing at IAB Engage 2014
- Sky boosts Sky AdSmart's targeting capabilities for advertisers
- 5 key trends from Dmexco 2014
- Philips launches campaign for app-controlled lightbulbs