Brand Manager of the Week
By Sarah Johnson, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Tuesday, 06 October 2009 08:30AM
Sarah Hilliar, senior brand manager, Kingsmill
Describe yourself in three words.
Driven, determined and approachable.
How would you define marketing?
Identifying, anticip-ating and satisfying consumer needs.
What would you be if you weren't a brand manager?
Writing the reviews for the Mr & Mrs Smith hotel guide wouldn't be bad.
What advice would you give to someone starting their marketing career today?
Throw yourself in 110%, be passionate, listen and never be afraid to embrace new ideas or opportunities that come your way - you never know where they might lead.
What attracted you to your current job?
The opportunity to work on a top 10 grocery brand that was about to embark on a fantastic relaunch, in one of the most challenging and fast-paced categories there is.
What was your first job?
A group marketing assistant for Durex. This was a hugely rewarding job, enabling me to work with more than 40 different countries. There was certainly no room for shyness.
If you weren't you, who would you be?
Richard Branson. He's smart, successful, always embarking on new opportunities, has boundless energy and a great work/life balance. Owning Necker Island would appeal too.
If you were a brand, what would you be?
VW Golf. It's reliable, engineered in Germany, moderately fun and occasionally speedy.
Do you have any hobbies?
I love skiing, scuba diving and yoga. Just don't ask me how often I actually get to do them.
Do you speak any other languages?
German, Spanish, Italian and French. I can also say 'stapler' in Hungarian, which has come in very handy.
What makes you angry?
All talk and no action.
If you could get tickets to any event, what would it be?
I really want to go to the Vanity Fair party after the Oscars.
If you had three wishes, what would they be?
Good health for my loved ones, to live a long and happy life, and a winning ticket for a Euro-Millions double rollover draw.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Account Manager AF Selection Up to £28,000, Manchester
- Account Manager Direct Recruitment £38,000 - £40,000, Central London
- Senior Analyst -Digital Direct Recruitment £50,000 - £60,000, Surrey
- Senior Data Analyst Direct Recruitment £40,000 - £45,000, London
- Campaign Viral Chart: Amazon's drones topple van Damme
- Shazam reveals most tagged ads of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014