My YouTube ad of the week: Amy Kean, MPG Media Contacts
Campaign YouTube, Thursday, 29 March 2012 04:21PM
Amy Kean reviews Dollar Shave Club
Amy Kean, head of consumer innovation, MPG Media Contacts
Why I like this
When people tell me interesting things, rather than seek proof, I normally just choose to believe them. As such, I'm sure that it actually is the company CEO in this video. Does that mean that, at last, the dreaded CEO corporate blog is dead? Here's hoping.
I've heard this video described by many friends and colleagues as "the best ad ever". A bold statement, and one I believe we should look at through the use of a very scientific "great viral checklist".
Is it funny? Yes, very. Is it shocking? Yes, their blades are f**king great. Does it tug at the heartstrings? Of course - child labour, anyone? Is there a celebrity involved? Well, the Roger Federer reference certainly wasn't an accident. Is it new, fresh, unexpected, relevant? Yes, yes, yes and yes. I know how much its blades cost, I suddenly like its competitors less and, my God, do I want to be friends with its CEO.
An ad like this only comes along once in a blue moon and should be applauded, celebrated and, most importantly, learnt from.
Wish I'd thought of
It's simple, really. Best. Ad. Ever.
This article was first published on Campaign YouTube
- Account Manager RSPB £22,000 to £26,000 per annum, Based at RSPB UK Headquarters, Sandy
- Marketing Communications Manager Stopgap £30000 - £40000 per annum, South East England
- Senior Marketing Officer Stopgap £34600 - £40834 per annum, London
- Google's European leader says viewing habits are 'changing dramatically'
- Martin Sorrell talks Maurice Lévy, Tesco, and the global outlook
- Land Rover to move global ad account into Spark44
- Viacom to bring Breaking Bad to Freeview with Spike launch
- 'Advertisers are snake oil salesmen', says Peter Oborne
- Adam & Eve/DDB grabs £100,000 prize from Posterscope