Battersea Arts Centre refurb still on track following fire

London's Battersea Arts Centre (BAC) has said last Friday's (13 March) fire should not affect its event space regeneration programme, which is due to be completed in spring 2016.

A fire began at the Grade II-listed venue in Battersea last Friday (@kjnorbury)
A fire began at the Grade II-listed venue in Battersea last Friday (@kjnorbury)

The Capital Project commenced in September 2014 in a bid to architecturally develop the 19th century building in partnership with the Arts Council England’s Renew programme. 

In a statement on BAC’s website, David Jubb, artistic director of the venue, stated the fire that ripped through the building on Friday had largely left alone the spaces set for development. He said: "It is early days and there is a huge amount to work through.

"We think that the final phase of the capital project, due to be completed in early 2016, should be able to go ahead as planned. This is a huge relief and means that the investment in that phase of the project is safe."

The fire has destroyed the building’s main performance space, the Grand Hall, the Lower Hall, its technical equipment and office space. The venue managers are currently working on a "phoenix plan" to get scheduled shows back on course, while a donation page has so far raised more than £55,000.

More: Five new London venues 2015

Comment below to let us know what you think.

For more in-depth and print-only features, showcases and interviews with world-leading brands, don't miss the next issue of Event magazine by subscribing here.

Follow @dollydeighton

Topics