Motorists passing News International’s Wapping headquarters a
couple of Fridays ago certainly noticed the poster for the group’s
online auction house, firedup.com.
The trouble was, being fine upstanding citizens, they decided that they
should do something about the giant billboard engulfed with flames.
Firedup’s staffers endured an afternoon filled with mobile phone-armed
motorists calling to warn them that their nice new ad was being burnt to
Eventually, one bright spark called in the fire brigade which sent a
truck later that night to take stock of the towering inferno.
Perhaps the fact that the flames were all two feet high and ran
flawlessly around the edges of the 96-sheet poster should have convinced
passers-by that this was no normal blaze. One would certainly have
thought that the giant slogan, ’the hottest place on earth’, might have
given the game away.
Furthermore, those who looked closer would have noticed that although
the poster was surrounded by flames, it wasn’t being damaged by the
Either Rupert Murdoch was receiving a divine visitation a la Moses in
the desert, or the creatives at TBWA GGT Simons Palmer had been getting
in touch with their inner pyromaniac.
The launch event also managed to raise a number of concerns over safety
in the Campaign office.
Before the launch of the ad, journalists received invitations in the
form of fire safety instruction cards which, worryingly enough, meant
one Campaign staffer didn’t open it for a week and nearly missed the
He has since been sent on a fire safety course and made to wear a
fluorescent yellow fire warden’s jacket in the news meetings.