Campaign robbed as needle match ends in draw

The Marketing Society's agency versus marketers football match ended all square after a sweat-drenched contest at Highbury on Tuesday.

The agency team was slow to get into its stride, wary of blowing new-business opportunities, and let the marketers take the lead with a well-crafted strike by the Karmarama turncoat Paddy Barnes.

The pressure told and the Campaign-sponsored admen rallied. They were awarded a free kick and the captain, Johnny Hornby, lined up to take it.

He made his most valuable contribution of the match by jumping over the ball, with Chris Hunton right behind him to thump home a sweet drive into the bottom left-hand corner.

Soon, however, the marketers, led by Orange's Jeremy Dale, were back in front through a jammy effort from David King of Cutty Sark.

At half time, Hornby and his vice-captain, Ben "bruiser" Langdon, rallied the troops. After combining neatly with the terrier-like Andy McLeod, Lowe's Matt Edwards set off on a dazzling run to force a corner. In it swung, to be met by the head of Jeremy Bowles, who netted spectacularly from half a yard out. Highbury duly erupted.

At two-all, the referee blew the final whistle and the match went to penalties.

Micky Tudor and Andy McLeod slotted home, while Richard Flintham pulled off a wonder save. But it came down to a final spot kick. Up stepped Robert Senior with a chance for glory. However, he couldn't bring himself to humiliate the clients and blazed his penalty into row Z.

The Marketing Society's Hugh Burkitt presented the trophy. The match raised £7,000 for the Arsenal Charitable Trust.

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus