ITC rejects ITV news proposals

- The Independent Television Commission has rejected ITV's proposals for improving audiences for national and international news and regional news programmes.

- The Independent Television Commission has rejected ITV's proposals for improving audiences for national and international news and regional news programmes.

The ITC has asked ITV to come back with a final set of proposals before June 22.

ITV has been under intense pressure from politicians and regulators alike to restore its former flagship news programme, News at Ten, which the ITV network dropped last year.

According to an ITC spokesman: "The decline in audiences for ITV's national evening news programmes is a key factor in assessing whether ITV news proves effective competition to other national news programmes."

ITV says it will not reinstate News at Ten and points to the ongoing changes to the nature of television audiences as digital television continues to spread. ITV says combined spread of digital and competitive scheduling by the BBC, Channel 4 and Channel 5, have forced ITV to reduce their viewing targets for this year.

Furthermore ITV executives point to the increased revenue gained since dropping News at Ten. ITV sales houses estimate that between £50million and £70million of the new money is now being earned a result of ITV being able to run movies and dramas uninterrupted by News at Ten.



Topics

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus