Hip-hop artiste Nicki Minaj hosted the 20th annual awards ceremony, which was themed around the passage the event had taken through time. The brand has announced that viewer figures were the best in its history, with 2.3 million viewers tuning into the simulcast show on Channel 5 and MTV.
Acts performing live included U2, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran and Slash, who performed a tribute to Global Icon award-winner Ozzy Osborne alongside Biffy Clyro’s Simon Neil. Minaj also performed a medley of her hits.
Stings between live acts highlighted the venue’s Scottish heritage. Baywatch star David Hasselhoff appeared dressed in a kilt, Minaj played mini-golf on stage and Scotland’s caber-tossing champion also made an appearance.
Elsewhere in the city, Alicia Keys performed at the O2 Academy and singer Kiesza appeared to teleport via a red phone booth in Glasgow’s Royal Exchange Square to perform. The location of 2015’s EMA was revealed as the Mediolanum Forum in Milan, Italy.
The event in numbers:
- 2,000 fans were chosen to appear in the live audience and 700 were invited onto the red carpet.
- 10,000km of cable was laid to power the performances.
- 30 HD cameras were used to shoot the show and 40 TV screens were installed backstage.
- 600 pyrotechnics were used in the show by Quantum SFX, including spitfire flames, air flame explosions and smoke storm machines.
- 15 wardrobe staff worked to produce more than 80 costumes for dancers, presenters and artists.
- 40,000 meals were provided by caterer Eat Your Hearts Out.
- 20 digital media experts were flown in to deliver content on MTV’s social platforms.
Comment below to let us know what you think.
For more in-depth and print-only features, showcases and interviews with world-leading brands, don't miss the next issue of Event magazine by subscribing here.