PepsiCo: Ad-blocking 'best thing to happen to industry'

"Ad-blocking is the best thing that has happened to this industry", PepsiCo's president, global beverage group, Brad Jakeman, has said, arguing it will drive the industry to act more like entertainment brands.

Adblocking: will drive the industry to act more like entertainment brands, claims PepsiCo president
Adblocking: will drive the industry to act more like entertainment brands, claims PepsiCo president

He was speaking at a panel session at Cannes Lions, held by on News UK’s boat and in conjunction with The&Partnership.

Jakeman said the industry could learn from Hollywood and Bollywood, who "have always focused on producing amazing content that consumers want to seek out not screen out."

Arguing that the industry had created the current situation by producing poor advertising, Jakeman said the old systems had allowed clients to be lazy. "We just write a cheque. We fool ourselves that people love [what we are producing]. We’ve brought this [ad blocking] upon ourselves."

He said: "This festival celebrates 0.5% of the work that got made – the other 99.5% of the work is generally crap. Most of it is digital landfill – crap content that gets produced quickly and cheaply and doesn’t connect. We’re living in an age where consumers just don’t tolerate that."

"It’s a great wake up call. It will drive us to think like entertainment brands in how we get consumers to fall in love with our brands. It’s going to be painful for a while, but ultimately it will take our industry to a better place," he said.  

What Jakeman believes agencies can help with is storytelling – in particular, helping to get consistent stories.

Become a member of Campaign

Get the very latest news and insight from Campaign with unrestricted access to campaignlive.co.uk , plus get exclusive discounts to Campaign events

Become a member

Looking for a new job?

Get the latest creative jobs in advertising, media, marketing and digital delivered directly to your inbox each day.

Create an alert now

Partner content