Secret Cinema cancels second night of Back to the Future

Immersive film events company Secret Cinema has confirmed the cancellation of the second night of its Back to the Future events, after keeping fans waiting for news until two hours before doors opened.

Secret Cinema cancels another opening night
Secret Cinema cancels another opening night

In a statement on social media, the company said: "Unfortunately we have no choice but to cancel tonight’s performance.

"Secret Cinema has been running safe arts events for 10 years and on this occasion we have come across a number of issues that we have not experienced previously. The site is looking spectacular so please stand by for further information about Saturday night’s event.

"As you can imagine we are hugely disappointed and share the immense frustration you are all feeling."

The news comes after Secret Cinema cancelled both its preview and opening nights of the event, which were set to take place on 23 and 25 July respectively. The company is offering ticket holders a full refund, or entry to screenings from 14 August onwards.

Many social media users vented their frustration at the news. Emma Spragg said on Facebook:  "I don't want to speak for everyone but I think you might find we are more frustrated at the lack of communication than the fact that it has been cancelled. Why could you not have told us earlier?"

Richard Ellis added: "Seriously Secret Cinema, what issues could you possibly have not encountered as a supposedly seasoned events company? Your ineptitude in managing this situation has been immense."

Comment below to let us know what you think. 

For more in-depth and print-only features, showcases and interviews with world-leading brands, don't miss the next issue of Event magazine by subscribing here.

Follow @dollydeighton

Topics