Tesco offers small comfort for NotW

Tesco is the only one of the three big supermarkets not to axe advertising from the beleaguered News of the World, as its high-street rivals cull marketing activity from the tabloid.

Tesco: delaying advertising decision on NotW
Tesco: delaying advertising decision on NotW

Tesco is offering some comfort for the Sunday title, stating it will continue to advertise – despite heightened calls for leading high-street brands to boycott advertising in the NotW.

Tesco, which spends around £1m a year on ads in the Sunday tabloid, is waiting for the allegations against the NotW to be investigated before making a decision. Until this point, it will continue to advertise.

Tesco’s stance differs from its rivals ASDA and Sainsbury’s, both of which axed plans to advertise in the tabloid's pages.

Sainsbury’s, which spends less than £300,000 a year in the NotW, said it would not resume advertising until the investigation into phone hacking had finished.

Sainsbury’s previously said it was reviewing its options.

ASDA, which said it only spent £34,000 a year on its ads in the paper, has also stopped running ads.

An ASDA spokesperson said: "We understand people’s concerns and reiterate that we have no plans to advertise in the News of the World."

Morrisons- – the remaining one of the big four supermarkets – said it was reviewing its options.




 

Become a member of Campaign from just £88 a quarter

Get the very latest news and insight from Campaign with unrestricted access to campaignlive.co.uk , plus get exclusive discounts to Campaign events

Become a member

Looking for a new job?

Get the latest creative jobs in advertising, media, marketing and digital delivered directly to your inbox each day.

Create an alert now

Partner content