The Week: Media News - Berlusconi to buy Endemol

Silvio Berlusconi and John de Mol are to buy the Big Brother producer Endemol for £2.4 billion. The former Italian prime minister and the Endemol co-founder are part of a consortium that has bought 75 per cent of the company from the Spanish telecoms giant Telefonica. The group has also promised to acquire the remaining 25 per cent of shares, which are publicly traded on the Dutch stock exchange.