The World: Amsterdam - De Mol retakes Endemol via consortium bid

John de Mol, the Dutch media tycoon, has bought back Endemol, the production company synonymous with Big Brother.

The company will now be owned by a consortium, in which de Mol is an equal partner with Mediaset - owned by the former Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi - and Goldman Sachs Capital Partners.

The consortium is paying the Spanish telecom group Telefonica EUR2.63 billion for a 75 per cent stake in Endemol. It plans to acquire the remaining 25 per cent that was floated on the Dutch stock exchange two years ago.

De Mol claims the Endemol purchase is not connected to the ongoing discussions about the future of his troubled Dutch TV channel, Tien.