Design and Editorial Services Lead
Design and Editorial Services Lead
Transport for London
Stratford, East London
London is a unique city. We come to work to keep London moving, working and growing and to make life in our city better. Transport for London and the Mayor are passionate about delivering an affordable, accessible, safe and modern transport network for London. Our job is to help Londoners, visitors and businesses to get the very best from the amazing city that we serve.
We’re the new team who lead the development and delivery of TfL’s customer strategy, customer and staff insight, design, service information, social media, marketing and behaviour change. Our customer strategy and consistent application of it is instrumental in ensuring the successful delivery of the Mayor’s Transport Strategy. This is core to delivering the transport service our city needs.
For the new TfL Customer Team this means establishing genuine customer insight and then designing and delivering innovative solutions that make a positive difference to how people think about us and how they choose to travel. Our brands are iconic and our communications and customer programmes can be too. Now is a great time to join the team and help shape the way we serve our customers and how we communicate with them.
About the role
You will be responsible for the delivery of TfL publications, as well as develop and implement TfL’s strategy and policy development for editorial content and graphic design including standards and guidelines in collaboration with the wider Design team. This can range from high profile documents such as the Mayors Transport Strategy, through to staff newsletters and TfL’s daily travel page in The Metro newspaper.
You will lead an in house graphic design and editorial studio ensuring that TfL’s design and editorial services supports the overall business objectives and that we communicate with our audiences in a professional, open and transparent way. You will also be the custodian of TfL’s standards, for example our Design Standards and Editorial and Style Guides. Establishing the Editorial & Design services team as a centre of excellence, you will also improve the skills of staff across TfL by managing the delivery of training programmes on TfL’s editorial and style guidelines, so that everyone working at TfL can communicate in the right way.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- It is essential that you have experience of running and managing a high performance team in editorial and/or design disciplines in a large complex environment.
- Experience of providing editorial and design concepts and approaches and managing the needs of senior level managers and directors.
- You will need to demonstrate that you can work to a high standard of performance, using your own initiative in a demanding environment and that you can build relationships quickly and effectively at various levels right across the organisation.
- You will need a relevant degree, equivalent qualification or suitable relevant experience in a related field such as journalism and/or a communications related discipline and experience of managing teams, including individual performance and development. It would also be helpful if you have knowledge of media law, especially with regard to defamation and court reporting.
In return for your dedication and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area and role, but may include:
- Final salary pension scheme
- Free travel for you on the TfL network
- A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
- 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
- Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
- Tax-efficient childcare payments
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
- Discounted Eurostar travel
You will need to attach your CV and a two page (maximum) covering letter.
To apply please click on the apply button to visit our website.
Closing date: 12 November 2017.
We aspire to be as diverse as the city we serve, we welcome applications from all sections of the community.