Head of Marketing
We are Unum (pronounced you-num) and we’re one of the UK’s leading financial protection insurers; that means we sell Income Protection, Critical Illness cover and Life Insurance through brokers to employers. We now offer corporate dental cover (including an optical option) too.
You may not have heard of us before, so you probably don’t know that we’ve been around for over forty years and insure more people under our Income Protection products than Aviva, Legal and General, or Canada Life – companies you’re more likely to have heard of. We are working towards becoming the Employee Benefits provider of choice for working Britain. We’re also big on workplace wellbeing and have a wide range of support tools designed to help businesses create or enhance their employee wellbeing strategy.
The Head of Marketing is responsible for the development and implementation of Marketing strategies that will deliver sustainable profitable growth to Unum UK and contribute to the overall Unum Group brand. They will ensure other Marketing duties, including internal and external communications, advertising, brand management; public relations, product and associated services development are all aligned to the overall corporate strategy of profitable growth.
- Articulate and deliver the Marketing Strategy, in line with Unum’s long term strategic plan, to deliver sustainable profitable growth.
- Develop and execute an integrated marketing plan that will emphasise our brand, build affinity with the vision and practice of Unum.
- Work across the organisation to ensure understanding & appropriate implementation of the strategy.
- Provide effective leadership to the Marketing organisation, embracing internal and external communications, advertising, brand management, public relations, external affairs, management and delivery.
- Partner with the Sales organization to support the achievement of sustainable profitable growth.
- Represent marketing across the organization ensuring the marketing strategy influences decision making and vice versa. Have accountability to the Executive Committee.
- Identify and manage creative and media agencies to deliver the various components of Unum’s marketing activities.
- Develop relationships with US partners in Corporate Brand and Advertising, Public Affairs and Public Relations to create a joined up approach to UK advertising plans and brand development.
- Recruit, develop and retain talented and motivated staff, promote clear and direct performance management and ensure appropriate succession for all key roles.
- Develop the potential of team members ensuring they have regular support, supervision and appraisal sessions
- Ensure the continued protection of Unum’s information, by following all applicable Information Security policies and procedures and by reporting suspected weaknesses in information security controls to the Information Security Officer.
- Embed and contribute to the Conduct Risk Framework, wider Solvency II systems of governance principles, Treating Customers Fairly requirements and the Risk Management Framework as it applies to the role and divisional activities and drive improvements as required.
- Comply with Unum’s Code of Conduct and other Company Policies and Procedures as appropriate to the role and drive the behaviours of others.
- Delivers Results
Sets high goals for self, department in achievement of business/ enterprise priorities; ensures that people are focused on the right things; monitors progress towards goal attainment.
- Builds Talent
Takes bold action to ensure strong, diverse talent and leadership pipeline in place, in both the business area and overall enterprise, to meet current and future business challenges. Develops, coaches and engages people to higher levels of performance.
- Makes Effective Decisions
Applies critical thinking and considers a broad range of perspectives, information, risk management and future implications holistically to make sound decisions with a sense of urgency.
- Strong Business Acumen
Applies broad business and external perspective to identify and drive strategies and business solutions. Based on customer needs and business requirements evaluates best way to leverage business process and technology to create value.
- Engages Employees in Implementing the Vision
Inspires higher levels of performance and commitment to department / area direction; ensures others understand their role in achieving department and business priorities.
- Values Driven
Interacts with others, internally and externally, in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization; operates with highest integrity/ethics; demonstrates strong support of our communities.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Educated to degree level with strong background in marketing
- Significant marketing experience with excellent functional capabilities
- Significant knowledge of the Financial Services Industry
- Experience of leading on the development and implementation of integrated marketing strategies (from either commercial, public or voluntary sector)
- Previous experience of commissioning and working with creative agencies on the development of integrated marketing campaigns
- Demonstration of successful team building and staff management combined with broad based leadership of staff management
- Gravitas and high calibre with ability to think strategically
- Proactive, energetic, enthusiastic and client-focused individual
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Articulate and engaging with a solid grasp of the product range
- Solid grasp of all aspects of the marketing mix with a commercial orientation
- Able to demonstrate experience in delivery of commercially viable strategies
- Proven ability to formulate and deliver strategic marketing plans to achieve objectives
- Project management, market/ product analysis, strategy development
- Superb oral and written communication skills.