Conference and Exhibition Manager
Conference and Exhibition Manager
A fantastic opportunity for an experienced Event Manager to lead the operations for a series of events at Haymarket Business Media within the growing professional associations market.
Responsible for delivery of a wide range of events including large exhibitions and conferences and smaller 1&2 day events and workshops, the Event Manager will be adept at matching event delivery to client objectives and commercial opportunities.
Accountable for large operational budgets the candidate needs to excel at budgeting, forecasting and negotiating with suppliers.
This role will also line manage an event coordinator and will work within a larger operations team that focus on running events for our prestigious professional association clients.
• Ultimately responsible for the overall operational delivery of events that exceed expectations of our prestigious professional association and pharmaceutical company clients.
• The successful candidate will pride themselves on running a professional operations team that delivers events for clients to exceptional standards while working with the Portfolio Director to grow and maximise the potential of the portfolio.
• The Event Manager will ensure best use of resource across the broad portfolio and lead from the front by maintaining operational control of their own series of events.
• Leadership and management responsibilities include:
• Leadership and accountability for operations and delivery of all aspects of allocated events pre, during and post event
• Working closely with conference sales/production/marketing teams to ensure operational and logistical aspects underpin and support the strategic aims of the events
• Managing the operational budget for all events providing regular forecasts to the Portfolio Director and liaising with them when setting annual budgets
• Developing a deep understanding of client’s objectives and ensure event delivery is aligned to these
• Regular client reporting and meetings
• Ensuring the event and exhibition ops team is resourced appropriately to deliver events on time and within budget
• Setting, communicating and maintaining timelines and priorities on every event
• Negotiating with all key suppliers and venues
• Managing, to an exceptional standard, on-site coordination of events and management of suppliers, preferred partners, personnel and freelancers at events
• Stimulating a culture of collaboration, respect and high-achievement
• Ensuring best practice is shared and efficiencies are realised across the entire client event portfolio
• Supporting the Portfolio Director to grow business from key clients by building, maintaining and developing strong client relationships and helping clients to develop their event portfolio
• Working with the Portfolio Director to translate new briefs into innovative, appealing and commercially viable events
• Ensuring compliance with all company and client policies and procedures, including those relating to Health & Safety, privacy and security
• Understanding the Company Vision and Values, and apply their principles at all times
Specific responsibilities for each event - either direct or team responsibility:
• Managing speakers from the time the event programme is completed, ready for marketing, right through to post-event
• Ensuring best delegate experience from customer service pre-event to onsite management from registration to post-event feedback
• Providing AV and production suppliers with event brief so that staging and AV can be designed and agreed and ensure that everything is on brand, all sponsorship is profiled correctly and the event requirements are met
• Creating and provide briefing documents and manage the relationships for event guide design, signage, exhibition floor plan and branding plan and any event technologies that are being incorporated to the event
• Working closely with the Commercial Director and Sales Team to create and provide the exhibition floor plan
• Liaising with the venue to ensure that all set up, catering, numbers and accommodation are as required and in line with the budget spend
• Cost management and reporting to ensure all working forecast files are recorded and dated live and that all opportunities to reduce costs are taken
• Raising purchase orders, processing invoices and payments in line with payment terms
• Overall responsibility of on the day management and operational delivery of each event. Provide on site staff with event information and roles and responsibilities
• Undertaking health and safety risk assessments and ensure that all H&S documents, public liabilities and insurance is in place for each exhibitor and sponsor where this is relevant
• Post event, collecting feedback and producing debrief information so that improvements can be made for future events
• Taking an active role in process improvements, updating procedures that allow the team to deliver highest standards of customer service for all speakers, sponsors and delegates
• Carrying out additional tasks as requested to support the growth of events with HBM, which may not be specified in your job description
Qualities / Experience
• Experience in large scale B2B event operations with exhibition experience paramount
• Line management experience an advantage
• Budgeting experience vital and overall P&L responsibility an advantage
• Experience of delivering events for clients and delivering to KPIs
• Proven track record in managing client expectations and developing client relationships
• Meticulous attention to detail, a creative eye and the ability to manage multiple events simultaneously
• Ability to manage complex programmes with large budgets and an ability to use business intelligence to drive innovation in event delivery
• Proactive, enthusiastic and charismatic approach to meeting client event objectives and a flexible, can-do attitude to work in general
• Confidence and demonstrable experience in presenting to clients at a senior management level throughout the project planning phase
• Exceptional presentation, interpersonal and communication skills when working with clients and colleagues of all levels, able to present ideas and results clearly and effectively and to influence client decision making
• Ability to work under pressure and prioritise workloads whilst maintaining attention to detail and meeting agreed deadlines
• A team player and also an excellent leader, able to be approachable yet tenacious especially around best practice process and behaviour
• Sound negotiating and influencing skills
• Remains calm and professional under pressure
• Ability to travel