Automotive Publishing Director
Haymarket Automotive comprises What Car?, Autocar, PistonHeads, Classic & Sports Car and Car and Accessory Trader – five brilliant brands that are world famous for informing and entertaining car buyers, sellers and owners and which share the goal of leading in their chosen marketplaces.
Our reputation is built on quality journalism, slick marketing, product innovation and dogged and skilled salescraft, all in support of unmatched digital and print products. No other automotive brand interacts with consumers and the car industry so comprehensively or is as well respected by its audience.
Whatever we do, we aim to be the best – and that starts with our teams and the way we place them at the heart of everything we do.
The Automotive Publishing Director has overall responsibility for maximising the profitability of our Auto Publishing Division and is a member of the Automotive Exec team.
The Automotive Publishing Director is expected to:
- Structure and develop the teams - Publishing teams and Commercial teams - ensuring a clear vision which focuses on profitability
- Manage existing revenue streams and seek to grow wherever possible. Anticipate challenges to revenue and manage swiftly with peer group, seniors and finance
- Sponsor creativity and ideas generation and identify and develop new commercial opportunities in line with Automotive brand values and unite the team to deliver them
- Budget and manage cost bases according to the gross profit principles of 30%+
- Build strong relationships with the AutoTech exec especially the Editorial and Audience Directors
- Work with the editorial teams to develop new opportunities
- Be an expert on competitor activity
- Set clear, measurable targets which are aligned with the company vision and strategy for all areas of the division
- Develop and foster your own key client relationships, spending time in-market with your clients
This is a commercially focused role where your brand definition, leadership and motivational ability will be paramount. You will seek out new revenue opportunities, while at all times focusing on the profitability of your business.
You will ensure that our teams deliver market-leading products to agreed objectives and timelines by providing leadership, while using your judgement to encourage creativity and productivity. You should ensure that your own targets are met while allowing your teams to function with clarity and confidence.
Planning and strategic thinking
You are responsible for formulating business plans for your group. You should identify commercial trends so that the business is best placed to capitalise on them. Your decisions and those of your team will be based on measurement and analysis, using the tools available to underpin your strong business feel with clear data.
You will be responsible for the line management of the Marketing Manager and Commercial Director. You are responsible for the development of people. This includes annual appraisals, coaching by you and training using central resource. You will actively seek out opportunities to nurture and develop talent.
You will act quickly to address underperformance in the team.
You are responsible for the regular distribution of reports that measure the business performance against agreed critical success criteria identifying areas for development and proposing solutions or opportunities.