Head of Policy
This is a new position within the Policy and Influencing Directorate. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to build an expanding ambitious policy team, working within the campaigns and influencing division to produce and deliver high profile and innovative policy research, engagement and research.
The post holder will play a strategic leadership role in the development and delivery of the organisation’s policy and research programme. They will provide the strategic direction to deliver a first-class policy function that is the envy of the voluntary sector, which produces, analyses and translates policy research to provide impactful collateral for our influencing and campaigning activities.
A key aspect of this role is to build relationships and enhance engagement with older people, embedding their views and contributions to our policy work; as well as become external engagement with key influencers and decision-makers.
Position in organisation
- The Head of Policy will report to the Director of Policy and influencing.
- Member of the Policy and Influencing Management Team
- Liaise with colleagues all levels within the organisation
- Line manages three Policy Managers
The main duties are as follows:
● Lead the strategic development, engagement and delivery of the organisation’s policy and research programme.
● Responsible for the strategic direction and delivery of policy and research activities.
● To develop an approach to maximising the impact and reach of our policy and research activities, internally and externally.
● Provide sound advice to the Director of Policy and Influencing on policy and research.
● Deputise for the Director of Policy and Influencing.
● Produce innovative policy collateral to communicate to different audiences with maximum impact.
● Develop and provide robust and authoritative evidence and collateral for advancement of policy and influencing as well as inform other aspects of the organiastion’s activities e.g. fundraising, services, communications.
● Position the organisation as a thought leader in the policy arena on the priorities affecting older people
● Build, lead and establish relationships with politicians and policy makers and influence governments, devolved assemblies and across Whitehall
● Build and lead a dynamic and high performing team to deliver first-class policy research, analysis, translation and communication
● Build highly proactive and reactive processes and protocols with the Media team to ensure the voice of the organisation is effectively communicated through the various media channels.
● Act as a spokesperson and representative for the organisation in the media, at conferences and seminars and externally with decision-makers.
● Ensure that the voice of older people is fully embedded in the decisions and activities of policy and research.
● Responsible for the management of the policy budget
● Lead active strategic collaboration with senior managers in services and engagement divisions.
Job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and so the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Independent Age is committed to equality of opportunity and of eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to adhere to the principles set out in its Equal Opportunities Policy and all other relevant guidance/practice frameworks.