Senior Policy Officer
To identify, research and develop policy positions on the issues that are important to older people living in the UK. To provide expert analysis and lead across policy priority areas, driving a programme of policy development and engagement across national and local government, parliament and other key stakeholders in order to achieve Independent Age’s vision of every older person living the life to which they aspire.
The main duties are as follows:
- To work with the Policy Managers to develop and implement a policy and research programme and influencing strategy, with support from across the organisation.
- To lead on specialist policy areas of importance to older people.
- Policy and research project management, as directed by the Policy Manager.
- Work across the organisation to deliver policy research and analysis to drive forward our external influencing campaigns.
- Responsible for implementing key priorities in the policy and research programme.
- Build and establish external relationships and networks to communicate and influence policy change.
- To create opportunities for older people, their carers and relatives, to contribute to and influence policy development.
- To work with teams across the organisation, to ensure key areas of policy work are understood, and opportunities are available for other teams to input into policy development.
- To provide briefings on key issues as required, briefing senior colleagues for events and opportunities.
- Produce policy outputs such as research reports, consultation responses, and web content.
- Identify public policy issues to which Independent Age should respond, both proactively and reactively, and determine the most relevant methods for exploring the issue, including in-house or commissioned research.
- Communicate Independent Age’s views on public policy issues to a variety of internal and external audiences through reports, articles and presentations.
- To ensure that all policy positions and outputs are evidence-based, accurate and involving synthesis of information from a range of sources.
- Work with Campaigns colleagues to identify and develop policy calls suitable for influencing campaigns.
- Support the work of colleagues across the organisation including supporting strategic goals and other cross divisional objectives required.
- To observe and comply with all Independent Age Policies, including the key policies and procedures on Confidentiality, Data Protection, Health and Safety and Information Technology Policies and Procedures.
Job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and so the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Independent Age is committed to equality of opportunity and of eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to adhere to the principles set out in its Equal Opportunities Policy and all other relevant guidance/practice frameworks.