Director of Marketing and Communications
We are seeking a Director of Marketing and Communications to lead and implement the school’s marketing and communications strategies in order to build the profile of the school, drive pupil numbers, develop the alumnae network and raise funds.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, you will contribute to the strategic direction of the whole school, working with senior colleagues on the promotion of key aspects of the school’s outstanding educational provision.
Why Sutton High School?
The school is a member of the Girls’ Day School Trust (GDST) and the Girls’ Schools Association (GSA). Membership of the GDST, the largest group of independent girls’ schools in the UK, gives us unrivalled opportunities for training and sharing of good practice in teaching and learning.
- With the Headmistress, develop a marketing strategy and plan that will bring the Headmistress’s vision to life and drive pupil numbers.
- Define a compelling proposition for the school in terms of positioning, values, tone of voice, messaging.
- Identify the macro issues facing the school, notably the challenges in the wider economic context.
- Analyse and understand the local competitive market, notably opportunities and threats.
- Become an expert on the target market: demographics, lifestyle, geography, attitudes and channel preferences.
- Working closely with the Director of Finance and Operations, maintain an understanding of the school’s commercial imperatives.
- Employ market research to inform the marketing strategy.
- Implement the agreed marketing strategy and plan.
- Oversee all advertising and all digital and print marketing materials, including the prospectus.
- Oversee and optimise the website, using it as a dynamic and motivating marketing tool.
- Champion the use of social and digital media to market the school and oversee all content.
- Develop a proactive plan to engage feeder schools, working closely with the Headmistress.
- Manage external specialists and agencies, ensuring they deliver quality work, on time and on budget.
- Manage the school branding, ensuring a cohesive and consistent approach in all marketing.
- Establish yourself as a key marketing contact for Trust Office, attending GDST Marketing meetings and sharing good practice.
COMMUNICATIONS / PR
- Work with the Headmistress on all internal and external communication, ensuring a consistent tone of voice.
- Develop an external communications plan, targeting opinion formers, journalists, feeder heads, prospective parents and local community with appropriate messages.
- Working closely with the Headmistress, lead on media liaison and press relations.
- Act as an ambassador at key public events and significant activities, ensuring that there is effective communication of the school’s ethos and ambitions.
- Amplify good news, ensuring the right people are aware of our achievements and successes.
- Develop the Sutton High School Association, organising committee meetings and events.
- Organise PR and press events, and attend them where relevant.
- Work closely with the Headmistress, Director of Finance and Operations and Trust Office to market fundraising initiatives.
- Ensure that all gifts are appropriately recorded and thanked and donor records are safeguarded in the relevant database.
- Oversee and develop links with the local community and stakeholders.
- Engage and build relationships with former students, ensuring that the school’s alumnae are part of a vibrant and dynamic network.
BUDGET AND EVALUATION
- Efficiently manage the marketing and communications budget.
- Make the case for additional investment to allow you to spearhead new initiatives.
- Ongoing analysis of the effectiveness of the marketing and communications initiatives.
- Effectively manage the Admissions Officer and work strategically to develop interest and applications at key entry points.
Employee benefits include:
- Competitive salaries and pay progression
- Access to extensive professional development opportunities
- Training grants for qualifications
- Generous pension schemes
- Free life assurance benefit
- A discount of up to 50% on fees for children at GDST schools
- Childcare vouchers, interest free loans for training, computer purchase loans and travel season ticket loans
- A Cycle to Work scheme
- Competitive terms and conditions of employment