Copy Writer - Brand
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
Marketing at the British Council is a strategic function which drives awareness, understanding and engagement with us across our diverse audiences. We use insight, knowledge and analysis of our market and our customers to engage them with the British Council’s international cultural relations mission, our products and services in the most impactful and effective way. We lead the development of our brand and use our expertise to tell inspiring stories to enhance our global reputation.
This is an exciting opportunity tol support the Head of Creative to develop the British Council tone of voice and high level messaging. To drive excellence in creative copywriting across the organisation, leading on the development of tools and training to support colleagues with copy. To deliver powerful and engaging copy.
- To act as the copy lead within the Brand team, setting the standard for creative copy and tone of voice across the global network.
- To lead the development of corporate messaging and messaging frameworks for our Strategic Business Units and products and programmes as required.
- To regularly review and refresh messaging ensuring that it is aligned to our brand framework, as well as being inclusive, confident and inspiring.
- To produce copy for key corporate communications such as our corporate video, standard presentations etc. as required.
- To work closely with the Editorial Standards Manager to ensure our tone of voice is understood and delivered consistently throughout the commissioned work in the design studio.
- To work closely with the Editorial Standards Manager to develop and deliver effective tools and training to support a high standard of copy across the global network.
- To build relationships with key colleagues with copy responsibilities across Marketing to improve standards, encouraging matrix working and skills sharing, delivering on our promise to be a Centre of Marketing Excellence.
- To develop our storytelling capabilities with a focus on telling more inspiring, compelling stories of the impact of our work on individuals and communities.
- To work collaboratively with colleagues in Marketing to develop the systems and processes to support our storytelling; for example developing the way in which case studies are sourced and managed in line with best practice.
- To act as a Brand Ambassador, helping deliver a strengthened British Council brand identity.
- To inspire creativity amongst the Brand team and share best practice and learnings.
- Experience of promoting corporate identity and in an organisation of similar size and complexity
- Experience of managing design commissions/processes in an organisation of similar size and complexity
- Design studio experience e.g. agency or in-house
Please note that in December 2020, the British Council will relocate its new global headquarters to: International Quarter, Stratford, London E20.