Senior Reporter - ENDS
Keen to explore how Brexit could affect environmental standards in the UK? Confident about quizzing ministers on their policies to tackle single-use plastics? Able to use infographics to bring our coverage to life online? If so, this could be the job for you.
Haymarket Business Media is looking for a senior reporter to work across market leading brands the ENDS Report and ENDS Europe.
The ENDS Report is the UK’s leading news and information service for environmental professionals, serving environment managers in business, regulators, policy-makers, environmental consultants and a wide range of other environmental specialists.
ENDS Europe is Europe’s environmental news service, reporting on EU and European environmental policymaking as it happens for an international audience of policymakers, influencers and industrial regulatory and sustainability managers.
Reporting to the editor, the successful candidate will be an experienced journalist, with first-class writing, excellent copy-editing skills and a meticulous attention to detail.
The successful candidate will play a key role in also supporting our efforts to grow our online audience. S/he will be able to demonstrate an excellent working knowledge of analytics and an understanding of how online infographics can be used to make our content compelling.
An understanding of environmental issues or a proven interest in the area is desirable, but is not as important to the role as curiosity and a willingness to become knowledgeable about the subject matter.
ENDS is part of Haymarket Business Media. This role will be based at our offices in Twickenham and will report to the ENDS Editor.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- support the news team by writing online news and analysis
- ensure print content is optimised for online
- support the ENDS Report’s deputy editor in preparing the title’s flagship daily news bulletin
- oversee the delivery of ENDS Report’s specialist bulletins
- general upkeep of the ENDS Report and ENDS Europe websites, makings sure sections are updated, and that the positioning of content reflects the findings of audience engagement insights
- improve and increase use of infographics across both ENDS Report and ENDS Europe websites
- lead on social media
- Excellent commissioning and copy-editing skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage workflow, deadlines and ensure quality and timeliness of copy
- First-class writing skills
- Good understanding of media law
- An analytical mind - ability to process audience engagement data, understand it and know how to apply it
- Experience with analytics tools (Google Analytics, social media monitoring tools, etc.)
- Deep knowledge of SEO and CMS systems
- An interest in and experience of data journalism and infographics
- Charm and guile - ability to get on with people
- Persistence and energy - monitoring and improving systems once they are set up
- Clear and effective communication skills