Senior Media Officer
Everyone is affected by the work Defra group does. The department and its agencies are responsible for England’s environment, food, farming and fishing industries, rural economy and countryside. We also have lead responsibility for protection from a wide range of natural threats and hazards such as flooding, plus animal, plant and tree disease.
This is an exciting and unique period to work in Defra group. We are one of the main departments impacted by the vote to leave the European Union. Our work is complex, far-reaching and vital. Join us and you will contribute to the development of new approaches and policies affecting millions of people across the country.
The successful candidate will support the delivery of government objectives on a wide range of EU exit issues by :
- Taking the lead in advising Ministers and other senior colleagues on the best way to address events affecting the Defra group, operational activities and policies. As this will often be in response to breaking news, you will have the ability to work quickly.
- Managing and mentoring a team, encouraging them to find innovative solutions and responses to complex challenges. As such, you will ensure highly-technical information is being conveyed in a concise, easy-to-understand way.
- Devising and implementing communications strategies to reach target audiences using a broad array of traditional, digital and social media. You will ensure these communications are being integrated into the delivery of policies.
- Using your innate news sense to identify story potential, arrange press visits and briefing journalists. You will also prepare Ministers for interviews and work in collaboration with delivery agencies to secure a consistent approach.
- Developing an understanding of issues across Defra group so you play an effective part in the wider communications team.
At all times you’ll be juggling priorities and working to tight deadlines in a fast-moving and constantly-changing environment.
Having honed your skills in a busy communications role, you will be a resilient individual with an excellent knowledge of all media platforms and strong negotiation and verbal and written communication skills.
Your people management skills will be vital, so you will have a proven track-record in leading and motivating a team to achieve effective communications.
We aim to support the professional and personal wellbeing of everyone in Defra. Our benefits include generous annual leave, a contributory pension, staff bonuses and recognition, salary sacrifice benefit options, and an employee discount scheme. We also offer flexible working and a variety of
learning and development opportunities.