Paid Content Product Manager
As the Paid Content Product Manager in Haymarket Business Media (HBM), your role is to focus on Paid Content initiatives. Paid Content revenues currently deliver around £8M annually across HBM titles, approximately 21% of total revenues.
As the Paid Content Product Manager in Haymarket Business Media (HBM), your role is to focus on Paid Content initiatives. Paid Content revenues currently deliver around £8M annually across HBM titles, approximately 21% of total revenues. HBM has ambitious plans to see this revenue grow significantly in the next few years at above 10% growth annually, and a new Chief Paid Content Officer was recently appointed to facilitate this. A key part of the plan is to appoint a product manager to lead our developments both to existing products and new products we are looking to bring on stream. This role will champion within our technical teams the special requirements these products require, helping us to develop our expertise in driving forward new data-lead services within HBM. A strong user/subscriber focus is essential, resolving customer issues quickly and driving developments to solve subscriber pain points in such a way as continues to deliver high value.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
What you will do
- Develop a Paid Content Product strategy that delivers against the business objectives, working closely with the paid content team to ensure our products continue to meet existing user needs and help us to gain new users for these services.
- Research, design and produce all visual collateral required by product development activities.
- Communicate any updates to the products/platforms, supporting, championing and driving new value-adding features.
- Work with, and understand the various business drivers of senior business stakeholders and peers and be the voice of the user in that dialogue.
- Write clear user stories that demonstrate a deep understanding of the outcome desired and capabilities of our technology stack and work with our delivery teams to execute with purpose.
- Test and sign-off new product features.
- Have a thirst for data, with the ability to generate any analytics you need to back your decision making and measure outcomes.
- Apply OKRs or similar management objective setting methods and prioritise and execute to maximise value against these.
- Ensure product development takes a privacy by design approach and is GDPR compliant.
- Continually validate initiatives, iterate and measure development, retire low value items.
- Manage, plan and execute the product life cycle in terms of the technical delivery, ensure we plan long term the platforms on which our products are based, helping the Chief Paid Content Officer to deliver annual business plans and budgets for all our paid content products.
A strong candidate will
- Have extensive product experience in high-value subscription and data-based products or databases in a B2B setting.
- Have experience in taking on a product, and quickly acquiring a deep and complete understanding of the proposition: the business model that drives it, the values it represents, and the multiple sometimes competing revenue lines that have to be balanced to ensure good product development choices.
- Have experience working in a matrix management framework, to be able to work as both part of the technical teams and as part of the paid content business team, balancing business needs and resources to deliver solutions quickly and efficiently.
- Have a history of identifying the appropriate metrics in product development efforts, and a track record of increasing them - revenue, retention, activation, engagement, etc.
- Be resilient and positive - able to challenge to ensure assumptions are weeded out and stakeholders bought in.
- Be articulate both verbally and in writing - able to convey complex subjects in the language of the business user.
- Be known for championing product, and the other disciplines that make it work, within their current company - it’s a team sport and everyone should feel agency.
- Demonstrate they are conversant in those disciplines, from APIs and analytics segments to a z-index.
- Have demonstrable experience of avoiding or calling time on bad product decisions, as well as making good ones.
- Be passionate about B2B paid products.
Technical & Professional Skills
- A qualified Product Manager across multiple channels (website, mobile, tablet, social) with knowledge of different industries and commercial models for digital products.
- Experience of full product development lifecycle, with both internal and external development teams.
- Working knowledge of JIRA or similar systems.
- Familiarity in using GA or other analytics platforms.
- Experience of working on data projects and products.
- Experience of working on B2B paid products.
- Understanding of Search Engine Optimisation issues.
Haymarket Business Media, based in the UK, creates value for specialist business and professional audiences by helping them to increase revenues, reduce costs, save time, manage risks and further their careers. We also help clients reach and influence specialist audiences through authoritative market-leading multi-platform brands including Campaign, PR Week, Third Sector, ENDS, Management Today, Planning/DCS, Horticulture Week, Windpower Monthly, C&IT, GP and MIMS.
Haymarket Business Media also works in partnership with some of the UK’s leading professional associations including the Royal College of GPs, Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development and Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply.