Commercial Director, £70K Basic+Commission.
Our client has a long and rich heritage of being the custodian of a portfolio of world-class media brands. They produce content that informs and progresses some of the largest and most respected businesses within the fastest moving and most influential sectors in the UK.
As commercial director you will be responsible for creating, leading and inspiring a high performing commercial team, across multiple revenue streams, for our clients award winning brands.
You will assist the MD in being the figurehead of the brands within the marketplace and identify new revenue streams (NPD on and offline) to generate sustainable growth, year on year.
Total portfolio value - £4m (headcount of 8 individuals).
Strategy and Sales Development
- To develop and implement the operational sales plan for each product you are responsible for, on and offline, in line with the brand strategy as directed by MD
- To ensure effective communication of the sales strategy to your team.
- Forecast accurately on a rolling basis, current/next month and annualised revenue/profit by product where applicable.
- Manage divisional costs according to budget (e.g. expenses, ad promotion, recruitment costs, P&L of NPD)
Market & Product Knowledge
- Ensure a thorough working knowledge of the retail sectors for which you are responsible, their brand extensions and the markets in which they operate.
- Ensure full awareness of all competitor publications both print, online and events, including circulation, target audience and sales stories.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the brands key accounts, based on an understanding of their business and market dynamics.
- To understand the customers business environment and their needs.
- To work with your Peer Group i.e. Commercial Directors to develop and implement sales best practice across the wider business.
- To deliver/exceed against brand monthly, quarterly and annual sales targets (revenue/share/yield)
- Demonstrate clear sales leadership by assisting your direct reports to deliver best practice and revenues
- Focus on retention and growth; both revenue and customers
- To ensure direct reports perform to KPI standards.
- Define and agree sales area KPI’s; define sales patch, segment opportunity; focus effort and manage, measure market shares and pipelines
- To recruit, support and develop your direct reports (8) ensuring that they are in the best position to deliver against targets.
- To conduct regular appraisals with your direct reports, identifying stretching and developing objectives as appropriate.
- Organise and execute team training
- Conduct weekly sales meetings with your team
- Proactively encourage collaboration to achieve team goals
- Develop an open, honest and supportive team environment
- Degree educated preferred
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience leading a high performing, multi-platform commercial team in a fast-paced environment.
- You will have a proven track record of successfully developing individuals through first rate coaching and leadership
Skills & Competencies:
- Planning & Organisation
- Commercial Awareness
- Sales structure & process
- Relationship Building
- Excellent face to face communication and presentation skills
- World class sales skills including negotiation, influencing, creating urgency and closing
- Effective time management
- To demonstrate numeracy, accuracy and attention to detail at all times
- Well presented & highly articulate
- Positive & enthusiastic
- Energy / determination
- Results orientated
- Problem solver
- Appreciation of wider business strategies within and outside of the business
They’re committed to being a happy and healthy place to work, so they offer fantastic benefits and perks to their employees. They include 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell), health plan and life insurance cover, Cycle 2 Work scheme, discounted gym memberships, retail discount vouchers and much more!
Apply for Commercial Director
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly