Planning Director- integrated communications
What’s it like to work in this company and particularly this team?
When it comes to brand agencies, there are many to choose from but in our experience, few that can offer you the stability, growth and opportunity to gain broad experience across an international platform.
We’ve hired the vast majority of strategists at this agency, including their Head of Strategy, so we can speak with authority about the culture of opportunity that pervades at this outstanding consultancy. Apart from a boss who is highly intelligent and a fabulous coach and mentor; you’ll be working in a team of roughly 8 other strategists who come from a mixture of brand consultancy and integrated backgrounds. So it certainly helps to be fluent in brand, but this is far more than just a brand literate agency, they really understand and get the exciting challenges that brand owners face and have put in place a significant team to meet these needs.
Although the business is now well established, it is still enjoying solid growth, so this role is a new addition to the team. There is vibrancy and energy which reflects the appetite for personal growth and going the extra mile for clients. However, this is not a start-up, so you benefit from systems and structure which enable enough stretch without the workplace becoming overburdened. In other words, it’s a professional and supportive environment where establishing a work life balance is encouraged.
What will you be doing?
You’ll be working for a variety of large, corporate, B2C and B2B clients, advising them on all aspects of their communications. This can mean anything from a visual identity that captures a client’s essence through to advertising that speaks their voice, through to films that project their personality. In essence, you’ll be highly adept at pinpointing the role for communications in solving business problems.
The day-to-day stuff:
- You will lead and implement all strategic decision making on your client(s) accounts.
- You will be the indespensable strategic partner to your client(s) on all matters of marketing/communications.
- You’ll mentor and guide junior members of the department and encourage greater strategic awareness and understanding amongst account management peers.
- You’ll take responsibility for developing and coaching junior planners in your department
- You’ll lead pitches, and involve yourself in new business opportunities as required.
- You’ll have exemplary communication skills and have the gravitas to bring clients along with you as well as inspire creatives with your vision.
- You will be someone who has a ‘Big Picture Perspective’ – you take advantage of all factors that might affect your client’s business and communications strategy. Not only that but you’ll understand their commercial and political landscape as well as just the marketing context.
- Portfolio growth – Pitch, win and take on additional client business. Build the necessary team around you to help deliver strategic excellence.
- Leadership – Taking responsibility for your client’s business problems within the agency. Exhibit excellent end-to-end planning from client brief through to execution and post campaign analysis.
What are you likely to have done before?
Purely working in a brand consultancy won’t in itself qualify you for this role. Apart from anything, if your focus and passion is for brand respositioning and brand architecture, there simply won’t be enough of this content for you to thrive in the role.
However, if you can demonstrate that you have significant experience working perhaps in an integrated agency, with a high communications content in your work, then you are on the right lines. You’ll either be an existing planning director looking for greater scope in your role combined with high end creative ability. Or perhaps a senior planner looking for that next step.
and in return…..
Well apart from working in a hugely enjoyable and inspirational environment, you’ll receive a highly competitive salary, circa £65 - £75K base (always flex for great candidates if they want you enough), plus a benefits package which reflects the fact that you’ll be working for one of the truly successful agencies of our time.