Head of Content and Channels
At the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) our responsibilities are large and wide-ranging. Our work is aimed at creating a cleaner, healthier environment, developing a world- leading food and farming industry, expanding a thriving rural economy and securing robust defences against natural threats and hazards across the UK. This exciting work will only increase in complexity as the nation moves closer to leaving the EU. Join us as we take a lead in delivering this once-in-a- generation change and see what you do having a real impact.
Located within our Digital Engagement and Creative team and tasked with taking a wide range of vital digital communications challenges, you will:
- Lead the Content and Channels team, managing all digital channels and the content that sits within them. Using your expert knowledge of social media, you will devise an overall strategic vision, ensuring every output has been optimised for the relevant audience.
- Deliver digital communications surrounding policy priorities, including those relating to EU Exit. You will therefore see to it that messages are being conveyed clearly, and that the target audience (such as British businesses) understands what these changes will mean for them.
- Quality-control the creation of content, ensuring it is both innovative and shareable, and thereby driving up audiences and increasing the reach of our social media channels.
- Encourage the wider department to embrace the best use of social media platforms. As such, you will build capability within the team (including Press Officers and Policy Staff), training them in delivering compelling text, pictures and videos.
- Use digital listening tools and insight to drive future strategies and decisions.
- Maintain all relevant licences. You will also take responsibility for procuring design for both digital and print challenges.
To make the most of this fulfilling position, you will be a persuasive and influential digital communications professional with the capacity to drive and motivate colleagues at all levels. With the confidence to challenge and inspire senior members of the team – including Ministers and government advisors – you will use your exceptional verbal and written skills to build cases and ensure your viewpoints are being heard and embraced. You will need to have significant experience of leading a digital and creative content team, so you will need an exceptional awareness of the digital media landscape, including emerging trends and tools. Crucially, you will be a natural leader, with the capacity to work both reactively and proactively, and you will be calm when juggling multiple priorities and tight deadlines. You will also build close relationships and partnerships in order to deliver a joined-up digital approach across the department.
Everyone in Defra is supported to develop their skills and capabilities. You will have access to learning and development from quality providers and support from mentors and coaches. We offer flexible working alongside a range of other policies and schemes to support your physical and emotional wellbeing. Our comprehensive benefits offer includes generous annual leave, a contributory pension, staff bonuses and recognition, volunteering days, childcare vouchers and other salary sacrifice options, and an employee discount scheme.
Closing date: 3 March 2019.