Strategic Communications Officer
We are immersed in an exciting period of change. At the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) our work ranges from supporting the UK’s world-leading food, farming and fishing industries to protecting the environment and providing robust defences against natural threats. Leaving the EU will fundamentally transform the work we do and how we deliver it. We are embracing this opportunity to become even more efficient, focused and innovative. Join us, and you will be at the heart of this change - helping us to secure a more sustainable future for the UK.
Joining our recently-established Strategic Communications function, you will work on a wide variety of high-profile communications campaigns relating to EU Exit programmes. At a particularly exciting point in the team’s work, you will:
- Take the lead in creating and implementing small campaigns, initially ensuring you have identified and understood the campaign objectives, and putting measures in place to ensure the right messaging is being accurately conveyed to the relevant audience.
- Support the wider communications team, working with cross-government stakeholders and policy colleagues to generate on-target results and support the delivery of internal and external events. In the process, you will have the chance to develop your own portfolio of career-defining work.
- Work in partnership with the digital campaign team to ensure associated messaging is being put out via social media.
- Proactively seek out stakeholder input, helping the team to analyse the resulting feedback to paint a comprehensive picture of how effective your communications were, and what improvements could be made for future initiatives.
- Support the team in building valuable relationships, including those with policy colleagues, communications teams in other government departments and Minister’s private offices.
This is a unique opportunity to extend your knowledge base under the guidance of the Strategic Communications Manager, while also managing smaller programmes yourself. You will therefore excel in the role if you are an organised self-starter, with the capacity to absorb information quickly.
With experience of delivering effective integrated communications advice and shaping evidence-led strategic communications plans, you will be adept at managing risk and building internal and external relationships. It is possible that you might come from a policy, press office or marketing background, and you will enjoy unravelling complex challenges to find engaging communications solutions. As a highly organised individual with the ability to prioritise your tasks and balance the needs of multiple projects, you will be a team-player with exceptional verbal and written communication skills. You will also have a proven track record in defining communications metrics in order to monitor and evaluate your individual projects.
Everyone in Defra is supported to develop their skills and capabilities. You will have access to learning and development from quality providers and support from mentors and coaches. We offer flexible working alongside a range of other policies and schemes to support your physical and emotional wellbeing. Our comprehensive benefits offer includes generous annual leave, a contributory pension, staff bonuses and recognition, volunteering days, childcare vouchers and other salary sacrifice options, and an employee discount scheme.
Two year fixed-term contract with the potential for extension or permanency